Chapter 2: Family Apart

Draco awoke with a flutter of his lashes, and a sigh. He stared up at the canopy above his bed, clenching and unclenching his fists as he roused himself. Sitting up, he looked around his mostly empty bedroom, and sighed once more. It had been raining for the past several days, and he was discouraged to see that it had stopped, the sun rays lightly shining through his window, laying on the floor and the foot of his bed. He slowly reached his hand out to the rays, the warmth on his fingers like a cat. He missed his cat. Narcissa had taken it with her when she fled, along with a few galleons and his heart. That was nearly two years ago.

It had taken Narcissa a little over a year to finally stop pretending, finally stop supporting the muggle killing potion, even though she herself had taken it for months. In her defense, she had not known it was Muggleblood that was making her hair grow and her skin shine. She had vomited upon finding out and sobbed for days quietly in her bedroom before emerging and telling Draco she was leaving.

"Mother, you can't be serious." Draco had said, his temperature instantly rising. She had pursed her lips, before stating, "As Sirius as your cousin." "Yes, well look where that got him." Draco had shot back, and his mother had paled at the remark. "Draco," she had breathed, and placed her hands on his shoulders, staring at him with her large eyes. She was quite pretty, even as her son he could see that.

"They're killing people."

"But not us, mother," he replied, "We're fine." She had shaken her head, and released her hold on him. "I can't live like that, my love." She had sighed, and it was then he noticed the bag under her arm. "I can't stand by as they just slaughter people based on their blood status. Not anymore." She had taken his chin in her hand, pulling his face towards hers and kissed his cheek lightly. She smelled of winter and mint, and when she released her hold Draco could see her eyes were wet. "I won't make you come with me." She said, and reached inside the satchel of floo powder she kept by her dresser, her bag over her shoulder and she knelt to pick up the family cat. "But you can't make me stay either. I hope to see you again...when this is over. I hope you survive."

Draco removed his hand from the rays of the sun and stood up. If he listened closely, he could hear his father moving about downstairs, presumably with his fellow Death Eaters brewing up a new batch of Spawning. In the past few months, Lucius thought it easier to move the brewing process to one of the three kitchens Malfoy manor had. Moving slowly, Draco dressed and made up his bed, trying to keep some type of routine in what was now his insane life.

He exited his room and as he walked lightly down the stairs, he spotted a figure sitting on the bottom step, shoulders tight and hair unruly.

"How long have you been skulking around here, Nott." Draco said, the volume of his voice surprising himself. Theodore Nott turned and looked at his friend, and stood up, extending his hand as Draco met him at the bottom step. "Oh, you know, just tagging along with dad. It's bring your son to work day, didn't you know?" Theo replied as he shook Draco's hand. They walked together down the long corridor towards the kitchen, their shoes echoing on the tile floor. "And Pansy, how is she." Draco asked, although he couldn't care less how the prettiest Parkinson's girl was doing.

She was a pureblood. She was fine.

"Well, given last night's endeavors, she's probably a tad sore." Theo replied, and winked at Draco who rolled his eyes in disgust as he pushed open the kitchen door.

The smell of burning wormswood and blood wafted into their faces as they entered, and Draco straightened his shoulders, eyes peering around the room. August Rickwood stood at the table, cutting slices of what looked like seaweed into strips, his brow furrowed in concentration. Theo's father Androginious stood over an enormous cauldron, mixing the contents within in a steadied pace, smoke spilling from the top. Lucius was sitting on a bar stool near the table, eyes darting every which way as he read the morning paper. He looked over the top of the paper as Draco and Theo entered, and he folded the paper up, setting it down on the table right on top of a dark colored liquid. The liquid seeped into the paper and spread like a gunshot wound. Draco couldn't tell if it was blood or not.

"Ah, Draco," Lucius drawled, standing from his chair. "I see you've found mister Nott." "Just taking in the Manor, sir." Theo replied, folding his arms across his chest. A sigh came from Androginious, and the older Nott set the large spoon he was stirring to the side of the cauldron.

"Care to make yourself useful, boys?" he asked, standing between the two young men and slinging his arms around their shoulders. Draco shifted uncomfortably and could easily smell the whiskey coming from his friend's father. "We need a few more bottles of the Draught of Pain. Go to the basement and fetch them for me." He laughed, and Draco felt his pulse quicken.

Draught of Pain. That was the twisted name Lucius had come up with for the key ingredient to the Spawning. Muggleblood. Or even half-blood, some people weren't very picky. He had said that even though everyone buying the potion knew what was in it, they didn't necessarily want to be reminded of the ugly origin in which it came from, because somehow reading 'Draught of Pain' on a label was better.

Draco hated going down to the dungeons. He was always afraid he'd see her, that she had been captured.  Or worse, one of her friends. One of her friends that he would have to tell her died in his house. That is, if he ever saw her again.

"I can get it for you, sir." Theo said, breaking Draco from his trance. Draco didn't have to ask why Theo volunteered himself.

Androginious dropped his arms as Theo walked towards the back of the kitchen. "Is it this way?" "I'll show you." Draco said, his throat thick, like he hadn't spoken in a while. "Why thank you kind sir." Theo mused, bowing with his arm extended in a dramatic performance. "Shove off" Draco muttered as they started to exit the room. "Do be quick boys," Lucius called after them, his voice heavy. "We have a few more errands for you to do."

The boys walked quietly down to the Malfoy Manor basement, both looking straight ahead. "She won't be there." Theo murmured quietly as they reached the door. Draco opened it, wrinkling his nose at the smell that escaped. "I don't have the faintest idea who you're referring to." He said, not looking at his friend and instead focused on the dimly lit staircase that led to the basement.

Theo shrugged, and went down the steps before Draco could no longer see him. "Please, please help us!" Came a shrill cry from below.

From the pitch, Draco deduced it was a woman. Probably Maisie Cattermole. Even though she was only 10, she was still a halfblood and her parents had been strong muggle-sympathizers, so it was no surprise she was captured. It did surprise Draco that she was still alive. When he saw her a few months ago, the last time he had entered the basement, she had been thin as a rail and her right arm so bruised, it looked like she was missing muscles.

"Probably from all the cuts." Draco muttered to himself. She wouldn't last too much longer, there was simply no alternative for her.

Draco turned towards the stairs as he heard Theo running up, two steps at a time. He closed the door swiftly behind him and turned to Draco, his mouth in a hard line.

"The only new one is Cho." He said through gritted teeth, then turned and sauntered towards the kitchen, two vials of dark liquid clutched in his hands. Draco released a breath of air he did not realize he was holding.

So she was still out there. Somewhere. Probably with his mother.

At least she isn't here, Draco thought as he followed behind his friend, walking back into the kitchen. He looked at the back of Theo's head as they walked and gulped as he watched him place the Draught of Pain on the counter.