Chapter 13: Full House

The moment Hermione's eyes landed on him, Teddy began to wail in her arms. She looked down at him, trying to calm him with a soothing tone, swaying her arms as her brain buzzed. She looked up as Ron groaned, his eyes shut and palms digging into his chest. Draco was still looking at her and she found it hard to return his gaze.

Draco? Here? It made no sense.

"Lovely catching you here, dear," Theo said, holding Hannah tightly by the waist. "If you don't mind, I should get this one into the house."

"I'm fine, I'm fine," Hannah assured him softly, standing up on her own as she looked around. "Just a tad dizzy, but I'm fine."

Hermione clutched the baby to her chest tightly as she watched Draco help Kelly up and turned to run up the porch steps. She opened the door, motioning for all of them to follow her.

"Narcissa!" she called, with Theo brushing past her, headed straight for the kitchen. Hermione and Hannah walked into the kitchen as Theo ran up to Pansy, scooping her into his arms and holding her to his chest. Ginny stood up, looking around, her face red and puffy from tears.

"Ron's outside," Hermione told her, causing Ginny to dash past her.

Narcissa stood as well, walking briskly out of the kitchen and reaching for Teddy. Hermione handed him over, slightly missing the little warmth he had provided, and watched with a small smile as Theo held Pansy's face in his hands, kissing her nose and lips interchangeably.

"I've missed you---" One kiss. "--so fucking--" Another kiss. "--much," he crooned in between kisses, and she wrapped her arms around his waist.

"Blimey, get a room," Ron moaned as he entered the kitchen, closely followed behind by Ginny. Ginny had her hand wrapped tightly around her brothers' arm, her lips trembling like she would burst into tears once more, which made Hermione's heart ache for her.

"You know what? I just might," Theo retorted, putting his arm over Pansy's shoulders.

"I think we all just need to settle down and get something to eat," Hermione said, her voice shrill. "You know, regroup a bit."

"Obvious plan."

Hermione could feel her confidence shrink as Draco walked up next to her. The smell of mint wafted in her face and she tried to keep a steady gaze as she met his eyes.

"Glad you can agree with me," she replied and felt lightheaded as she peeled her eyes away from him.

There was so much she wanted to say to him, so many things she wanted to ask him. She needed him alone, needed to hug him, to hear him say her name.

Narcissa walked into the kitchen, cheeks flushed and voice tight as she said, "Living room. Now."

-

April 5th, 1997

Hermione clutched her books to her chest, running at a full dash down the hallway, her feet echoing on the stone flooring. She was already nervous for her presentation with Draco and now she was running late. Reaching her classroom, she pulled on the door handle, rushing inside as the door closed with a harsh click behind her. She breathed hard as she was greeted with the eyes of all her classmates and she searched the sea of students for silver eyes. When she found them, she paused, trying to read them.

He blinked back; eyes empty, distant.

She looked away.

"Lovely for you to join us!" Trelawny exclaimed, which caused Hermione to break her eye contact with Draco in order to look at her least favorite professor. "Why don't you and your partner present first?"