02

The Moon's

Little Star

Lily and baby Athanasia were seated on the couch, engrossed in a book featuring vivid illustrations of Emperor Claude. Athanasia, angrily struck the book with her tiny hands as Lily happily explained her father's name, "Yes, that's right, little one," Lily continued, noticing the spark of recognition in Athanasia's eyes. "Your father is a very important person." Athanasia cooed loudly in anger, her attention momentarily diverted by the intriguing sight before her. But as Lily turned the page, revealing an image of the slumbering Empress Calliope, a sense of confusion clouded the baby's expression. adorned in a flowing white gown amid rose bushes. Athanasia, captivated by the enchanting portrayal, struggled to comprehend the parallel between her mother and the novel's empress. Lily, sensing Athanasia's bewilderment, gently explained that Calliope was in a deep sleep, leaving unspoken the ominous truth. Athanasia's face saddened as the began to whine. If she couldn't make Calliope awaken, Athanasia would die once more!

Lily's eyes brimmed with tears as she hugged Athanasia close, wishing she could offer the comfort and reassurance the baby so desperately needed. "She'll wake up I'm sure of it" she murmured softly, her heart heavy with worry for the sleeping empress and her precious daughter. In her silent plea within, Athanasia implored her mother to awaken and rescue her from the ruby palace, a place where past concubines had met tragic ends according to the whispers among the maids.

Athanasia did her best to recall the novel "Lovely Princess," the tale of the protagonist, Princess Jennette, and the enigmatic Emperor Claude. Praised as a hero by the people, Claude concealed a heartless nature, having dethroned his elder brother and seized power. Jennette, the lovable princess, eventually softened his icy demeanor, leading to her becoming crown princess and having a blissful marriage with Prince Alpheus.

On the contrary, Athanasia, the second princess, suffered a vastly different fate. Neglected by Claude since her birth, she grew up in the shadow of Jennette, yearning for her father's affection. Their first meeting on her ninth birthday left Athanasia desperate for his love, a yearning that persisted throughout her life. Athanasia's eventual demise at the hands of her father, framed by Jenette's aunt and her mother's longtime friend for poisoning Jennette, cast a dark shadow over her tragic existence.

As for Empress Calliope, she remained in a perpetual slumber after giving birth to Athanasia, frozen in time. The novel depicted Jennette as the favored daughter, permitted to enter the sapphire palace and witness her sleeping mother, while Athanasia could only gaze at paintings. It was said in the novel that the last thing Athanasia called for was her mother.

In the novel, Lily stood as the sole advocate for Athanasia's innocence, drawing inspiration from her admiration for Empress Calliope's gentle and innocent nature. On the other hand, Margret, the childhood friend of the princess and Jennette's godmother briefly mentioned in the narrative, hesitated to defend Athanasia due to the looming threat of her own demise. The story unfolded with Lily as a beacon of hope and Athanasia navigating the intricate web of destinies woven by her father's heartless actions. Athanasia knew 3 things, 1. Lily would be her best bet of protection 2. she needed to escape and 3. She would not die.