19. Never Had A Friend Like Me.

Começar do início

My eyes narrow “Go after her! Can you hear yourself? You’ll leave her alone.” It’s takes only another second before I lose it thinking about his implied threat to Jasmin, I’m sick of this bullshit “I am a grown man and if I want to spend money on somebody I will and she is not a fucking slut” my voice gets higher and higher as I get towards the end of my sentence.

“YOU WORK FOR ME. I DO NOT HAVE TO RUN ANYTHING BY YOU, I’LL SPEND MY MONEY HOW I SEE FIT AND WHY THE FUCK IS SOMEONE CHECKING MY PRIVATE PURCHASES?”  My fists slam on the table as I stand, screaming across the table at him, I’m willing to bet everyone in this block heard me too. Paul looks shocked momentarily but enough is enough, this treating me like a child stops here, today.

“Marshall calm down, I’m looking out for your best interests here” he tries to placate me by speaking quietly and slowly. I know he is, he’s always protected me and I owe him a debt of gratitude. I trust very few people with my life but he’s one of them.

“It’s a lot of money to spend on a truck and normally you would call me asking if you have enough when you make big purchases” he’s right, I do, do that. I have asked for his validation in the past on big purchases but I’m not having this thrown back in my face, like I’ve committed some crime by spending money that wasn’t my own to spend. I sit, sighing not quite knowing where to start with this whole thing, mess whatever any fuck wants to call it.

“It’s not a normal truck, it has a lot of modifications on it for her” I don’t want to discuss Jasmin and Jack with him but fuck now I’ve opened up that can of worms.

Paul sits back in his chair “Okay, tell me about it. If you want too that is”

I’m quiet, thinking. My quick anger from moments ago changed into something else now, not sure what though, maybe I do need to tell him how I feel, at least I know he’s discreet.

Letting out a longest breath I decide to just tell him “ Do you remember me telling you Jasmin is married? the only time she has free are Wednesdays. It started out as just meeting for sex and then I’d go back to work and now we spend practically all day together and sometimes the night too” I’m not explaining this right and that’s confirmed by Paul.

“So she cheats on her husband with you and you say she isn’t a slut?” he sounds confused, rightly so.

“The night I met her she was meeting a guy for sex, a guy her husband had picked out with her. The whole thing was Jack’s idea and she went along with it to keep him happy.” I’m not making this any better.

“I don’t get it Marshall”

“Jas and her husband Jack were in a car accident four years ago, they were both hurt badly. Jack is paralysed, he’s worse than paralysed but I can’t think of the word right now”

“Jasmin is his primary caregiver, she was a Doctor but for some reason she can only afford to hire a nurse one day a week to look after him so she can have a day off.” I trail off, thinking about how much professional care you could buy a person with a Pac- Man arcade game.

“So that’s where she got the mysterious scars, Sounds like they’ve had a tough time of it. So the truck is modified to get the husband into” he enquires quietly. Until he mentioned it I’d forgotten he was there that night Denaun and I had fought about her after I’d seen her scars the first time.

“Yeah, I met him and he was fucking mean to her. I understand he must be frustrated but to take it out on her was not good to see. He only left the house in all that time for hospital visits, I wanted to make her life easier and maybe help him out and it worked, they go all over the place now. Jasmin seems lighter if you know what I mean” I feel a little embarrassed exposing my softer side to him but he just smiles before grabbing the receipt and filing it in his folder “You did a kind thing for them, I don’t know how I would cope in his position”