Chapter 23: Purpose

Start from the beginning

"The colors, the lone person in the middle, and the ambiance, combined with the dark sky..." He explained, "It feels overwhelming, in a way."

Mizuki pursed her lips together - the fact that they interpreted a painting in two very distinct ways surprised her. Then again, art was in the eye of the beholder, meaning that interpretations were subjective. Kei looked at Hana and she held her arms up as if wanting to see what her parents were observing. He gently picked her up and she clung to him.

"What do you think, Hana?" Kei smiled affectionately.

Hana babbled, causing their hearts to twinge from her adorableness.

"I think she agrees with me." Mizuki teased playfully.

"No way..." He smirked, "You agree with me, don't you?"

Hana blinked a few times in confusion. She unexpectedly reached out for Kei's glasses as a response, making Mizuki stifle her laughter. Kei jerked back due to the fact that his daughter nearly poked his eyes out.

"Woah!"

"Get him, Hana!" She laughed in amusement.

Mizuki's phone suddenly buzzed, and she took out her phone as Kei tried to put his glasses back on while making sure that Hana was safe. It was a text message from her long-time friend and volleyball teammate, Kojima Sara.

Kojima: We won another match today! We miss you so much! Can't wait to meet Hana. Come visit Tokyo soon :]

As Mizuki read the text, her heart filled with pangs of sorrow. Although she loved being with Kei and Hana, part of her missed her work. She missed attending practice, learning tactics, bonding with her teammates, and participating in matches. Although she would return to the Panthers team in 8 months, she couldn't help but feel a little dejected. She knew she shouldn't though because her life was exactly where she wanted it to be, and she loved every moment of it. That should be enough, right?

Kei gazed at his wife and noticed her eyes flicker with gloom after reading a text message. She quickly hid it with a smile and urged for them to keep strolling around the museum. He was about to bring up his concern when Hana began fussing in his arms. She seemed like she was becoming too warm so he proceeded to tenderly remove her jacket.

"I'll take her jacket." Mizuki murmured faintly.

After Hana was comfortable, she settled into Kei's arms. The museum was very quiet, so she would probably fall asleep soon.

"Who texted you?" Kei asked curiously.

"Oh... It was Kojima-san..." Mizuki answered, avoiding her husband's gaze, "She just wanted to update me on how the team was."

"I see..."

Kei observed her intently, knowing that even the slightest change in her facial expression meant that she was worried or upset about something. He had been so busy with work and Hana that he might've neglected to think of Mizuki herself. His face burned with shame - as much as he tried to be a thoughtful and supportive husband, he might've unknowingly ignored or overlooked Mizuki's inner feelings. Her life drastically changed when she got pregnant, and it wouldn't surprise him if she felt a longing for something else other than being a mother.

"You miss volleyball, don't you?" He brought up, causing her to look up at him.

"I... I guess..." Mizuki laughed softly and shook her head, "Only a little, though. I'm fine."

"I know you," Kei stated coolly, "You don't need to hide it..."

She paused for a few seconds and sighed.