Chapter 2

"Where's Uncle Henry?" Avery questioned, placing her small fists on her hips as she emerged from the RV.  Blonde locks sticking out in every direction.

"It's his turn to go on a food run, we get to stay home today" Smiling up at her as I tended to the fire, handing her a water bottle, she began guzzling it down quickly.

"Not so fast, we have to make it last" Patting the top of her head softly.  

Wiping her mouth with the back of her hand with a nod.  "Think Uncle Henry with find lots of food?" Avery smiled with hope.

Sitting back into my folding chair. Keeping my eyes alert for anything.  "Not sure hun, it's been harder lately to find food"

Avery plopped onto the grass, picking at the ground.   Her eyes filled with seriousness as she dug her fingers into the dirt.

"You and Uncle Henry talked about leaving last night" Muttering under her breath. 

Lifting my brow with slight shock.

"You should have been sleeping" Sighing as I pinched the bridge of my nose.  Such a little eavesdropper.

"I want to leave.  Maybe we can find friends!  And food and other kids!" She rattled off.  Henry clearly rubbing off on her. 

A place like that would be ideal.  But Henry and I both knew it's not that easy.

"We could, but it's hard to find a nice place like that" It was cold and harsh, but it was the truth.  

Looking up with her big blue eyes, melting my heart almost immediately. "But we should try, right?  You always tell me to try new things mommy"  

Spitting back my own words I've used in the past.  Smart girl.

"You're right.  We should always try.  If we leave, it wont be easy though." Sighing, as my 5 year old made sense to me, a grown woman.   I always told her to try new things.  Hunting, encouraging her to eat the food placed in front of her.  In these times I couldn't afford for her to be picky.  This is survival.

"We can do it momma.  We're strong!" Lifting up her lanky arms trying to flex her biceps.

Smirking down at her determined expression as she lifted up a daisy chain she wove together quickly.  "For you" Grinning brightly at me.

Taking the flowers between my fingers, careful not to ruin it. "It's beautiful" Wrapping it gently around my wrist. "You should make one for your Uncle.  With lots of flowers! Big enough to be a crown!" 

Giggling with a nod and she plopped back down into the grass and began all over again.

Hours passed slowly, the sun had finally began to set.  Avery was in the RV, ready to surprise Henry with her 'gift' for him.

Leaning my head back, holding my long rifle in my lap as I relaxed deeper into my folding chair that gave me a clear view of our surroundings.

My body was tired. My bones ached, every inch of me begging to relax and forget about my surroundings.  

But that's a far away dream....

Could we really find a group of people, a safe place with people who haven't totally lost their minds?  I've grown use to staying away from people.  The groups we've found in the past have all ended the same. Us leaving, surviving on our own.

The sound of rustling suddenly brought my attention on high alert.  Standing to my feet, gazing out past the rusted fence.  Raising my gun as I watched two Growlers emerge from the bushes.  Slinging my gun around my back, rushing forward pulling my knife from my belt.