•06•

•06•

JOL KESANDU NWANI WAS dying inside, and it was all because of Aafia Toma's smile. Jol was eating a pastry at the bakery, getting it all over herself, and Aafia was laughing at her. Jol scowled with false annoyance; she loved Aafia's laugh, and the way that her smile lit up the room.

"You have something on your cheek!" Aafia said. Jol tried to wipe it off. "—no, your other cheek! Jol, here, just let me—" Aafia used her thumb to wipe off the brownie crumbs on her cheek. Jol was sure that Aafia could feel her blush. Aafia grinned in a smug way that Jol hadn't seen before. Now she knew that Aafia could feel Jol's blush.

"Aww, you're—"

"Say it and no more hugs," Jol said. Aafia giggled but didn't continue.

It had been almost a week since the day they went shopping, and it had become a regular thing for Aafia to hug Jol and kiss her cheek every time they greeted each other, and every time they said farewell.

Jol was catching feelings fast and she didn't know how she felt about it.

Dan offered Jol and Aafia cookies fresh out of the oven. Jol eagerly ate hers, but after one bite Aafia looked at the cookie in her hand and frowned.

"I don't like it..." Aafie mumbled with guilt crowding her voice. Jol smiled at her.

"It's okay, I'll eat it. Don't worry princess." Jol took Aafia's cookie from her hand and ate it in three bites before Aafia could protest. To be honest, it was a little burnt. "There, no more waste." Jol smiled again.

Aafia exhaled. Jol watched the tension leave her body.

"I didn't want to waste it..." Aafia trailed off. Jol put her arm around the other girl's shoulder in a comforting manner.

"Hey, it's okay. I ate it, and it was good, though a little burnt. Did you not like the nuts?" Jol waved bye to Dan and steered Aafia out of the bakery.

"I don't like nuts." Aafia was pouting.

Jol found it cute. She told her that. "You're cute when you're pouting, princess."

"No I'm not!" Aafia whined. Jol chuckled and made sure the black-haired-girl was on the inside of the sidewalk as they walked; the girl was clumsy.

"Yes, you are. You are very, very cute," Jol whispered in Aafia's ear. This time it was Aafia who was blushing.

"Stop it..." Aafia quite obviously did not want Jol to stop.

"In fact, I find you exceptionally beautiful, Aafia Toma," Jol went on, still whispering in the other girl's red-tinted ear.

Jol didn't know where her confidence came from, considering Aafia usually turned her into a pile of mush, but Jol liked it.

"Did you know..." Jol began. "...that your smile is so gorgeous that I almost trip whenever I see it?" Jol whispered, her lips pressed against Aafia's ear. She felt Aafia shiver. Jol grinned and nipped at her ear with her teeth before continuing to walk down the sidewalk. On the outside, she looked aloof. On the inside, her mind was nothing but chaos.

Jol couldn't believe she'd just done that.

Aafia was still standing frozen a few feet behind her, her face red despite her brown skin. Jol would have to tease the girl more if this was the reaction she got.

"You coming, sweetheart?" Jol asked smugly. Aafia jumped and nodded before quickly catching up to Jol.

They walked back to the park in a comfortable silence. Their hands kept brushing, though neither of them made the move to hold hands. That annoyed Jol, so she grabbed Aafia's hand the next time it touched hers, and intertwined their fingers.