Chapter Fifty-Eight : next up the marriage proposal

Start from the beginning

"He's like family, he wouldn't have missed Kayla's graduation."

"He only came because you were going to be here. I'm not kidding, he was going to head up to Michigan and just chill there. I told him, hey why not go. Paige is going to be there, wouldn't it be nice to see her? What really reeled him in was that Malcolm was coming too but," she shrugged her shoulders.

"Wait, I thought Parker was going to a community college?" I was confused.

"Yeah, he got accepted into Michigan University and he really wanted to go so he's shooting his shot there."

"I'm transferring there next semester," I looked at Nora confused, "I swear I told you this."

Nora shook her head, "You didn't though, wait why are you transferring?" she asked.

"It's a lot better than the university I'm at now and I want to be free of Malcolms constant watch. I don't know I wanted to see what it was like there."

"Huh maybe the universe is trying to say something," Nora smiled.

"What's Parker majoring in?" I asked her.

"Engineering," she grinned.

"Oh," I looked back at where everyone was and Nora cleared her throat.

"Talk to him, at least catch up. Your single, he's single things could happen."

I spent years wondering how this would go, when we saw each other he'd have a girlfriend during the holidays or I would be distracted with school to really wanna talk. I was nervous, he looked so much older than three years ago. What if I didn't have the spunk in me to talk to him like I once did?

I followed Nora who was greeted by the family and I stood next to my mom and she smiled at me before leaning in, in a hushed tone.

"Look how far you've come," she whispered, "I know Nora's still holding out hope for you and Parker and we all are too. I'm not trying to persuade you to give it another chance but you guys were powerful together then. And going to the same college in a couple weeks, at least talk to him. After his mom passed he really needed a boost from the one person who could brighten any rainy day."

His mom committed suicide two years ago, after Michael left for the third time things got hard financially for them. He had the responsibility to bury her, everything was on him. I didn't find out until a year ago at Christmas time. I tried to get him alone but there was always someone getting his attention so I never could. He moved into my parents house, they couldn't let him stay alone in that house. They were worried about him a lot. I remember my mom calling a lot and I heard the stress in her voice. I almost took a break from school to be there and help out, get Parker back on his feet. My mom told me that things would be okay.

"Guys here's the address to Haydens, I'll send it in the group chat," Kayla commented, "I'll see you guys over there!" and she went off with Hayden to their car.

"I'm going with mom and dad and so are you," she grabbed onto Malcolm's arm before Malcolm could go with Parker where he probably wanted to go, "Paige go with Parker!" Nora waved goodbye.

"She still tries," Parker smiles, "I thought Mason was bad at playing matchmaker but turns out Nora's the queen of it."

"Don't let Mason hear that, he still tries. I went on a date with a guy and posted a picture of I think it was my dessert and his hand was in the picture and Mason sent a picture of you grabbing my hand from your truck, and he texted something silly like, I bet that guy doesn't look at you the way he did," I smiled as we walked to his truck.

"So what happened to your date?" Parker asked me, curious.

"I didn't see him again, he didn't open my doors for me," I said jokingly, "I'm kidding no he was still hooked on his ex girlfriend and he got her back using me as bait."