Chapter Thirty-Five : so why'd you come?

Start from the beginning

"You're a pain in the ass," he muttered.

"Only for you," I smiled.

The door opened and I stepped a little further from Parker to give him distance and make it strictly friends from this point further.

"Hi, Parker!" a woman was in front of him and came in for a hug which he took but I wasn't sure how well before she pulled away, "and you must be Paige," she then hugged me which I found a little weird but I usually would never take a hug from a stranger.

"Parker you know me, but I'm glad I finally get to see you in person. Oh, I'm Julie technically Parkers stepmom but I would never go by that. I guess I could say I'm with Parker's dad," she was rambling, "oh I'm sorry, where are my manners. You two must be freezing, there's a blizzard coming later tonight, we'll make sure you guys leave before then unless you want to stay. Do come in!" she motioned and Parker made me walk in first before following behind me.

I didn't realize how difficult it would be just to be his friend. Parker and I touched a lot throughout the day and just stopping it cold turkey was harder for me. Especially watching him still stressed and uncomfortable. He's trying to keep his cool, trying not to look like he's gonna lose his mind.

"How long have you guys been friends?" Julie then asked.

"Parker and I have been friends since we were little. We lost that around middle school but got close again just this year," I said.

"Are you guys a no shoe family?" Parker asked.

"Whatever makes you guys comfortable," Julie smiled.

I looked at Parker to see his decision and he kept his on, okay so I'll keep mine on. I was used to taking off my shoes though, we were a no shoes family and always had been. I even take mine off at Parker's house who also doesn't care and neither does his mom.

"Where's Riley?" Parker asked.

"Oh he's out in the back with his dad," Julie said and she must have read my face expression, "Riley is my oldest, he's six and adores Parker, especially on facetime. I'll go get them, you guys make yourselves comfortable," she said heading to the back door.

He was quiet and I was playing with one of the rings I had on my finger, a nervous habit beginning to form.

"Was this a mistake coming?" he asked.

I shook my head, "no, Julie seems very sweet. She's just as nervous and you get to see Riley for the first time too," I looked at him and smiled wanting to grab his hand but I gave him some space, "this is good."

"You're nervous," he commented looking at my hands.

"I just don't feel like I belong, I'm not family. I feel like I'm intruding in someone else's life."

He placed his hand on my own to stop my twisting of the ring around my finger, "I couldn't have come in without you, I feel the same. This isn't my world. Look at this house, can you imagine me growing up in this house?"

"It's big, spacious, white walls," I looked around realizing it looked like how you'd show someone if you wanted them to buy it.

"Perfect," he muttered as Julie opened the door.

Parker removed his hand from my own and my hands felt empty. Part of me wondered why he decided against his dad going along with the whole fake dating, I mean everyone else knew, what made his dad different?

"Hello Parker," a spitting image of Parker walked in but just older, "and who's this? Girlfriend?"

Before Parker could speak I corrected the error, "friend," I said.