Chapter Eight : are you ready?

Start from the beginning

"Did he flirt with me?" I asked.

"Yeah but he's just got a flirty personality, especially for football guys. Mason has a type," she shrugged her shoulders like it was another day but for me I never once talked to Mason and I didn't know that Paige was friends with someone very different than her.

"What's with the look Parker," Paige looked at me expecting an explanation.

"Mason and you aren't what I expected a friendship to be that's all."

"He has good intentions," she closed her locker.

"You don't trust him do you?"

"I stopped trusting a lot of people Parker, and last night just gave me another reason to," she grabbed my hand and we walked to her first class.

"You're not going to give me anymore than that are you?"

She smiled, "see Parker, you're learning so much already."

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

After school I was making my way to the field for the upcoming game tonight and Paige texted me she'd be there in a few, she needed to ask one of her teachers something. Paige didn't have to stay while I'm at practice, Haylee never did when she had a day off from cheer.

Malcolm was talking to Madi and he saw me so he motioned me over. I was hesitant because this morning's actions from him I was prepared for but he had no right to be a complete dick.

"You done being moody?" I asked walking up to the two of them.

"I'm protective of my sister," he shrugged his shoulders like it was no big deal.

"Do you forget who I am?" I looked at him like he had lost his mind, "Did I ever put Haylee's needs and wants above my own? You know damn well I did anything for her."

"I'm worried because you and Haylee just broke up, you can tell me as many times as you possibly can and say she's not a rebound but all you've known is Haylee, you were in love with her. And who the hell knows you probably still do! I don't want to come home one day after hanging out with you and find her crying because you broke her heart. I know how Paige acts, she could fool you into thinking she's fine when she's not. I'm her brother Parker, I know her inside and out. I'm letting her figure out on her own how wrong you two are together, you guys are polar opposites and you fucking know it," Malcolm pulled his hair back and I knew how terrified he was with me dating Paige, he was stressing, "why? Why date her now Parker what does she give you that Haylee didn't? No nevermind I don't want to know, just break up with her man. She's not like Haylee."

"Malcolm stop," Madi looked at him confused on why he was acting out.

"I know what I walked into Malcolm, and you're right she's not like Haylee. She's better," something honest came out of my mouth.

"Sorry!" I heard Paige's voice and I turned around to her waving a paper in the air before bringing it down, "I asked to retake a test, I didn't do as good as I had hoped. Hey are any of you guys good at history?"

"Lemme see," Malcolm took the study guide out of her hands and I looked down at her trying to block the sun out of her eyes.

I put down my football bag and dug to find one of my dads old baseball caps he gave me as a kid.

"What are you doing?" she looked down at me confused.

I handed her the baseball cap and she looked at me surprised, "I'm okay, really you need it more than I do. You'll be out on the field," she shook her head at me like me being nice was not in the agreement but I'm not an asshole.