Chapter 25

"I kissed Naib," He said quietly.

Aesop just sat there, he didn't know how to exactly think of it. It was just a kiss, so he didn't want to overreact on anyway, but with the guilt the seer had in his eyes, he must have seen it as a big deal.

"..." He didn't respond for the meanwhile, and just stayed quiet.

"I'm so sorry and I don't even know why I did that-" The seer explained frantically as he avoided eye contact.

Aesop took Eli in his arms, trying to calm him down first. "Hey, it's alright..you need to calm down first..." Aesop spoke as he held the seer close.

"I'm not mad, just a bit upset," Aesop said as he exhaled a deep breath, it was only a kiss, but the seer seemed overly stressed about it.

"I know, I'm a horrible person-" Eli rambled on.

"You aren't, I promise you," Aesop reassured him, "Can we talk for a small while," he asked in a gentle tone of voice.

"S-sure.." The seer's voice trembled as he spoke.

"And..before I say this, I promise you it isn't your fault at all," The embalmer spoke with slight nervousness laced within his voice.

Eli was a bit worried, he knew Aesop was very apologetic, even when not necessary. All he could do was sit there and listen to what he had to say.

"I think we should take a small break..." He let out a breath he didn't know he had been holding. "I promise you this isn't your fault, it's just..." he couldn't even think of words to explain his reasoning.

"It's just hard for me," He continued. He let go of Eli now, and quietly moved his hand away from the other's.

"Oh...I'm so sorry," Eli said as he turned away from Aesop, "This was all so rushed anyway..I should have asked if you were really alright with it," he spoke in a nearly inaudible voice.

"No, no..I loved it, and I still love you," Aesop said, no longer smiling as he was before, "Just 'us', I didn't know what I was getting myself into," He explained sadly. "But it wasn't your fault, and it never will be," he added.

"I feel as though Naib will be there for you more," Aesop said solemnly. He stood up from the bed as he pulled his mask back up.

"I still love you as well, I always will.." Eli stood up from the bed, making his way towards the embalmer.

The seer put his hand on the embalmer's shoulder, smiling a sad smile. Although slightly shorter, Eli put his arms around Aesop. Aesop was slightly surprised but returned the gesture, he felt like crying, even though this was his decision. They stayed like that for a few minutes, neither of them said anither word to eachother in the time while.

"I should probably get going now," Eli said sadly as he avoided eye contact yet again.

"I'm sorry Eli.." Aesop said as he watched the seer leave his room, Brooke Rose was now perched on his shoulder.

The decision was one of the worst he could have ever made, but it would happen either way. Hopefully Eli hadn't gotten the wrong idea, none of this is his fault, none at at all. The embalmer thought to himself as he turned away from the door.

Surprisingly, more snow was falling outside, even though there hardly any this past week. But it always managed to stick, the weather itself was still freezing cold after all. He decided to shut his window for once, and pulled the curtains down slightly. If not for the candle on his desk, the room would have been significantly darker.

He sat down on his bed again, and took his light-grey medical mask of completely, placing it on the desk he had to the side. He didn't feel like going back to his book.