Chapter 7: Emani

The rest of the week went by in a blur. I barely heard from Lake and wasn't sure what was up with him. It's Friday night, and Xavier is in my room helping me study for my chemistry exam. The boy wasn't lying when he said he was a whiz in this subject. Before tonight, I didn't understand anything about chemistry, but now it's making more sense.

"Xavier, I'm so happy that I finally understand this! I will definitely get a C on the next test."

"You will get an A Emani. You've got this!" He corrected me with a smile.

I laughed. "I don't know about all of that, but at least now I have a chance of passing."

"I'll make you a deal. If you get a B or higher, I'll take you to Cold Stone."

"Deal, " I said, shaking on it. "Are you hungry? I can order us something. I'm craving Dominos."

"Sure."

Thirty minutes later, the pizza arrived, and we dug in. I drizzled ranch dressing on my slice, and Xavier wrinkled his nose at me.

"Don't tell me you're one of those people that has to dip their pizza in ranch?" he asked with a smirk on his face.

"Hells yeah! It's the only way to eat pizza, duh," I shot back.

"I hate ranch! I like hot sauce on my pizza." He pulled a small bottle of Frank's Redhot from his bag and poured some on his food. Then he brought the slice to his mouth and devoured it.

Now it was my turn to be grossed out. "I hate spicy stuff. It makes my nose run."

"You don't know what you're missing. I've never met a black person that doesn't like hot sauce," Xavier said with a laugh.

I doubled over in laughter. "Fuck you."

He had a mischievous grin on his face. "I don't think Lake would approve of that."

My face turned bright red, and I averted my gaze back to my food.

Around midnight we called it a night, and I packed Xavier some pizza to go. We managed to get through the rest of the chapters, and I felt confident about the exam.

"Thanks for everything, Xavier. I really appreciate it."

He stood up and walked over to the trash can, throwing away his soda can. "It's no biggie."

I smiled at him. "It's a huge deal. You've been so nice to me."

"Friends help each other. I told you I got you."

I closed the food containers and handed them to him. "Can we study for the next exam too?"

"Yeah, that's fine. I should get going. It's getting pretty late, and I know you must be tired." Xavier pulled me into his arms for a hug then released me. "Where is Maci?"

"With your boy as usual."

Xavier sighed. "I swear I heard them having sex the other day. They can't keep their hands off each other. Um, will you be ok tonight?"

I thought it was sweet that he was worried about me and grinned. "I'll be fine. I have a baseball bat next to my bed."

"Ok, well, I'll see you around Emani. Good night."