.24. ᴛʀᴜᴛʜᴀsᴀɴᴀ

What had Jungkook expected? Sprinting like mad naturally resulted in breathlessness as he reached the crouching man playing with an overly excited Fifi who seemingly wouldn't stop yapping at the impromptu reunion. When she ran over to him, Taehyung got up and despite the black face mask, the baseball cap and the lack of light, Jungkook could tell he was smiling.

"Jungkook," he said, tone a little diffident.

"Taehyung," replied Jungkook, not quite sure how he was able to refrain from hugging him because damn, he'd missed him like crazy.

"You still come here?" Despite the question mark, Taehyung's voice fell short of surprised. If Jungkook overanalysed it, he might find it sounded hopeful.

"All the time. Though rarely at this hour." Nothing but the truth, your honour.

"Your hair, it's long," he noted.

"Yeah. I don't really feel the need to cut it these days."

"It looks good."

"Thank you. Your — um — your hair is darker."

Taehyung giggled. "It's just my natural colour. I haven't dyed it in a while."

"It's nice."

That's when it hit Jungkook like a ton of bricks. He had never flirted with the idol. Even the holding of pinkies, he realized, may just have been accidental. Meaningless.

"Jungkook?" Taehyung was looking at him warily.

Jungkook turned away, ashamed. He was standing in front of the one and only Kim Taehyung and your hair is nice was definitely not going to cut it. Simultaneously, he became painfully aware of the fact that he'd reached the extent of the small talk he was capable of. So he made the decision to open up and share. One emotional petal at a time.

"You wrote a song."

"I did. How — I mean, have you — do you like it?"

And Jungkook felt himself fall harder because Taehyung sounded like a young boy who'd just handed in an assignment and who was eagerly waiting for a verdict, or some kind of acknowledgement of his hard work.

"It's a beautiful song." The full and unvarnished truth.

"Not too cheesy?"

What? Was Kim Taehyung really asking for validation from him? Jungkook found his insecurity most endearing and tried teasing him about it. "The melody does a good job at hiding any excess cheesiness."

Taehyung stalled before letting out a small laugh. "I'm glad you like it."

"Well, the thing is, I'm biased. You'd sing the cheesiest Christmas Carol and I'd think it's perfect!"

Taehyung's chuckles sounded more spontaneous this time. "I'm not sure what I did to deserve such unconditional support."

"You didn't have to do much at all. You just had to — be." The truth. Always.

Jungkook managed to dig up sufficient courage to meet Taehyung's gaze and to take it all in, the distant lights of the city glistening the edges of the other's profile, the night breeze playing with dark, rebellious curls, even the starry sky which had somehow found a home in the man's eyes.

Taehyung took a step forward. "I hope you know the song is yours."

Jungkook didn't have to ask for confirmation to see that Taehyung was being truthful.

His song. Taehyung had written him a song.

He felt warm all over. A mere thank you didn't quite sound appropriate, yet Jungkook had no idea what to say in response to such a gift. A wonderful gift, no doubt. A very public one as well. He couldn't help but wonder what kind of statement Taehyung was trying to make.

Perhaps now was his chance to get to the bottom of this thing between them, what it was, what to call it, what to do with it. He, too, stepped forward, leaving barely enough space for their dogs to run between them. If Taehyung's eyes could speak, they'd say that thank you was definitely not what the man was presently expecting. And Jungkook heard them loud and clear.

He'd known Taehyung for months now, and in that moment, Jungkook believed that he had earned the right to ask the question he was about to utter. After all, Taehyung was already aware of his feelings for him but the same could not be said of Jungkook who thought it unfair, how he'd remained in the dark as to where the man stood in regards to his affection. He hadn't rejected him. Thankfully. However, he hadn't quite returned the favour.

And if Taehyung didn't reciprocate, then yes, he'd hurt. But he'd move on, eventually. He just needed to hear it once, and not in the shape of ambiguous lyrics. "Taehyung, is there something you want to tell me?"

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free. One way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡