chapter 16

"i love you" i whispered. he didn't turn his head. he just kept staring straight. "i love you too" he whispered through the tears.

i put my hand on his and gave it a squeeze.
a few of my tears rolled onto my lap. i wiped my eyes.

shortly after he pulled into his driveway.

we both got out of his truck and walked into his house. we made our way up the staircase and into his bedroom. without saying a word.

i sat on the end of his bed and i saw a pile of my clothes neatly folded sitting on his desk.

he watched me look at them. "you left them here i wanted to give them back to you,i wasn't too sure if you were ever gonna be here again" he said. that broke my heart. i know it sounds stupid but i had left those clothes here just in case. yet he folded them to give them back to me because he didn't think we'd work things out.

i smiled at him and nodded my head. he came and sat down next to me.
i turned to him and kissed his cheek.
something about this boy made me so vulnerable and it's killing me.

he leaned down and put his head on my shoulder. i ran my hands through his hair and we sat there in silence.

"what are we gonna do" he asked me with tears in his eyes.
he picked his head off of my shoulder and looked at me. "i don't know nate" i said. he sighed and fell onto his back on his bed.
i followed his move.

we both laid there staring at the ceiling
"i want to make it work" i said.
"me too" he whispered.

that made my heart warm. at least he wants this relationship to work out. i'm just not too sure we can make it work. all we do is fight. but i need him.

"we can't keep doing this" i whispered. "i know" he whispered back. i rolled over and sat up. he was still laying down. he looked at me and i dropped a tear. "i love you" i whispered. he half smiled and told me that he loves me.

i laid on top of his stomach and cuddled my head in between his neck. and he rubbed my hair and kissed my forehead.

"are we done?" i asked. he looked at me and nodded his head. i could tell it was painful for him.

he kissed me one more time and then we left. he drove me back to the field so i could get my car.
neither of us said a word in the drive there.

when we got there i got out and so did he.
he leaned on his truck and i gave him one more hug. "just because we're broken up doesn't mean i don't love you or still care about you" i whispered into his shirt. i felt a tear drop onto the top of my head and then he kissed the top of my head.

"i love you" he whispered. i half smiled and unattached my hand from his and walked to my car.

i plugged my phone into the aux cord and watched nate drive off.

i played my sad music playlist and drove home. i let the tears fall. i didn't try to stop them.

i seriously do love nate. but i feel like i'm making his life harder right now. and it's not good for either of us to keep going back to each other the way we do. but i can't stop loving him.