kakegurui: become girlfriends

"Detective Saotome!"

"Detective Jabami, haven't seen you in a while."

Mary ducked under the yellow tape. The icy night air were daggers on her cheeks. It was too damn cold to investigate a murder.

"It seems they don't want us on the same cases anymore. What a shame. We work so well together!" The black-haired detective smiled at the sight of her old friend.

"Don't play dumb. You know exactly why they don't assign us murder cases anymore." Yumeko had discovered quickly that getting handsy on a crime scene isn't exactly encouraged. "You're lucky they trust us now."

"Don't give us a reason not to," Chief Kirari Momobami warned from inside of the house. "Hurry up, the body isn't getting newer."

Rolling her eyes, Mary started towards the house: "Let's go Jabami." The detective followed behind her.

The putrid smell of the body burned her nose on entry. The house was trashed with empty beer bottles and food wrappers. Sitting in the filth was the victim, sitting lifeless against a wall. A kitchen knife with a yellow marker laid beside him, the obvious murder weapon. He was sickly pale with a concerning amount of stab wounds ripping through his redshirt. It would've been a ghoulish scene if she hadn't seen dozens of dead bodies before his.

"Alright, what do we know," Mary started to inspect the other rooms in the house. Yumeko was already checking the evidence marked with bloodstains in the kitchen. There was an obvious sign of struggle from the bloody bat and knocked-over chairs.

"Carlos Ortiz and Olivia Ortiz hadn't left their house for two days. A neighbor filed a report after not getting a response when she investigated and called them. The windows were boarded up, and the doors were locked from the inside. We still haven't found the wife," Ryota Suzui, a forensic investigator, explained as he gathered blood samples. "We're assuming that the kitchen knife was used to stab Mr. Ortiz 28 times."

"Geez, whoever did it wanted him gone," she muttered, studying the white powder lines on the coffee table. Coupled with the countless empty bottles lined around the room, she's pretty sure one or both of them were abusing drugs.

She decided to check on Yumeko in the kitchen to pool evidence and conclusions. The other detective was pacing on the deck. Sensing the other girl's presence, she looked up with her eyes glistening: "Mary, I need to show you something." She eagerly moved to the side, and the blonde walked onto the mini-deck. "I have a theory, but I want to hear what you think first."

"Ugh, you do this every time."

"I know, but I just want to hear another opinion before I make mine better."

Rolling her eyes, she sighed and decided to give in, "Fine, to be honest, I haven't drawn any definitive conclusions yet. If no one's found the wife that must mean she was either kidnapped or fled the scene, but neither of those are possible if the
windows and doors were blocked. It wasn't a suicide because there's no way he stabbed himself 28 times. There was drug abuse involved, so I wouldn't be surprised if Mrs. Ortiz did it." She shifted her weight between her feet and shot a sly brow towards the black-haired girl. "Then again, I've only inspected the living room, so prove me wrong Detective Jabami."

"Gladly. Follow me," they walked back into the house. Yumeko hurried to the counters in the kitchen. On the wall, there was a wooden knife bar with a gap between two blades. "This is where the murder weapon was kept. I think that if it was an abduction, the kidnapper would've prepared a weapon. Unless on the unlucky chance, they kidnapped her on a whim."

She turned away and motioned toward the fallen chairs and bat. "I think your right about the drug abuse. Which might've played a role in the bat and toppled chairs."