They depicted all the noble houses of the south, the ones that swore allegiance to House of Winterbourne. On the right, I could see the eagle staff surrounded by four amber colored diamonds, and two chimeras stood on either side, their fierce claws guarding their honour, while their venomous fangs threaten everyone into silence and submission. This was the symbol of House Moreau, my mother's maiden family.

On the other side, there were two white cinquefoils against a scarlet background, and surrounding it were two silver eagles, proudly spreading their feathers to defend the flowers of hope. It was the symbol for the House of Byron, the family that Lisbeth married into.

At the very center of the hall, where the sun would pass at noon was the stained-glass window that depicted House Winterbourne's crest. The window was situated incredibly high up, and when sitting at the rows of seats, you could not see it. However, when it was noon, it would cast an image of our crest into the pool of water built in the middle of the hall, constructed so that no one could step on our house's crest.

There was the periwinkle flower large and center, and beside it was two red barbed roses, eye-catching and prominent against the white background. Silver griffins stood on either side of the periwinkle, the pride and glory of House Winterbourne.

My ancestors chose that common flower as our symbol, because we, like the flower, are nothing out of ordinary. The periwinkle is commonly seen as a weed, but it is pretty enough for people to continue to let it grow.

We Winterbournes started out as common people, slowly gaining power and wealth through trading and centuries of politics, and it has gotten us here today. We were not breathtakingly beautiful like the women of the House of Ainsworth, as charming as the Chauvelots, nor were we ridiculously smart like the Byrons. We were common people that were allowed to survive, to gain influence and to take power into our own hands. The Winterbournes are like common weeds - there is no way to fully get rid of us.

A new window was made several months ago, and another crest has been added to our collection, but this time, it is one that belongs to the royal family. The proud golden sun in splendour shone brilliantly, but not outshining our own emblem. Red phoenixes embraced the sun in splendour, symbolizing the magnificence that the Chauvelot dynasty had brought upon Phoenicia, and how this brilliance would live on forever.

Our great king, Gregoire the First had this in mind when he came up with the design for the House of Chauvelot's crest over three hundred years ago, but he had no idea that his living descendant had caused all that magnificence to plummet, razing it to the ground.

All around me were seats full of people, but everything paled in comparison when I saw Edmund standing at the altar. My companion, my equal. Only a few years ago, I was a simple girl who had no idea of the tumultuous state of our kingdom, and even though I craved for the throne, I thought that it would remain as a mere dream.

Now, I was closer to the throne than I ever was. Edmund marrying me would give him the rich south's support, and people would follow him out of love for me, for my father. When he does become king, his power will never be purely his. A large chunk of it belongs to me, to my family, and when that time comes, we will be unshakeable.

Edmund wore a white robe trimmed with gold, similar to mine, and in his pocket was a single periwinkle. From afar, I could see his smile, soft yet blinding. I took a step forward, treading gently on the carpeted floor. My footsteps were light and calm, but my heart was not. I would be lying to say that I had no feelings for the young handsome duke, but after years of seeing him as an easy ticket to the throne, I did not even know the contents of my own heart.

The priest had begun to recite the marital scriptures, but I turned a deaf ear towards it. After this day, there would indeed be no return for me, for the House of Winterbourne. I glanced to look at the tall figure beside me, standing still and thoughtfully listening to the priest's words. My fate indeed rested on him, but his fate was in my hands. He needed me as much as I needed him, and because of that, we are equals.

After the priest was done reciting, Edmund turned to me and grasped my gloved hands tightly, looking at me straight in the eyes.

"Anne, I vow you the first cut of my meat, the first sip of my wine, from this day it shall only your name I cry out in the night and into your eyes that I smile each morning. I shall be a shield for you back as you are for mine, nor shall a grievous word be spoken about us, for our marriage is sacred between us and no stranger shall hear my grievance. Above and beyond this, I will cherish and honor you through this life and into the next," he spoke loudly for all the wedding attendees to hear, but not once did his eyes linger away from my face, not even to look at the people's reactions.

My lips curled into smile, and I began to recite my own vows, which I had painstakingly memorised last night.

"You are blood of my blood, and bone of my bone. I give you my body, that we two might be one. I give you my spirit, 'til our life shall be done.

You cannot possess me for I belong to myself.
But while we both wish it; I give you that which is mine to give.
You cannot command me, for I am a free person.
But I shall serve you in those ways you require.
and the honeycomb will taste sweeter coming from my hand."

I chose that particular set of vows to signify that I had no intent of becoming a mere consort, a belonging, but a life partner. As I finished my words, I heard murmurs begin to echo throughout the hall, but Edmund was smiling in satisfaction.

Two goblets filled with wine were brought over in a tray, and we took one each. Edmund drank from my goblet, and I drank from his. As the liquid ran down my throat, our union was sealed. The wine would soon become our blood, and our blood was unified.

Edmund then lifted my hands to his lips and kissed them gently, his gaze tender and full of admiration. Now, I was no longer only Lady Anne Genevieve Winterbourne, the second daughter of the Earl of Rhyland, but I was also Duchess Anne Genevieve de Chauvelot, wife to the future King of Phoenicia.

My rank now surpassed my own father, and the only person above me was the King himself. With this knowledge, my hunger for power grew even more, and now that our union was consolidated by marriage, my father and Edmund could actively rile up the people against the king.

My husband laced his fingers with mine and raised up our linked hands in the air, piercing through the bright sunlight and casting a shadow on the floor below us. I tightened my grasp on Edmund's hands, earnestly hoping that for the rest of our lives, there will never be another woman for him.

He would stay with me, and that is where his loyalty shall remain.

Hello everyone! This chapter marks the end of book one, and Anne and Edmund's story will be continued in The Red Throne, which is already out now! Thank you for all your love and support !