9 | Dearest Beach Friend

Start from the beginning

"Then what is the reason?"

"You'll break Brett. You'll leave me. Everything will fall apart. I don't want you to run off Brett."

"I won't."

Eddy looks up at him through his tired eyes, keeping in mind to not stare for too long. One small mistake could be the end to everything. "'Now, I'm not going to deny that I was aware of your beauty. But the point is, this has nothing to do with your beauty.'" He starts to say, looking down at his hands and he sits up, sitting right across from Brett who he knows is staring at him with such a wondrous gaze, his sunshine personality shining right through. "'As I got to know you, I began to realize that beauty was the least of your qualities. I became fascinated with your goodness. I was drawn in by it.'" He whispers a bit, reciting the line by memory. "'I didn't understand what was happening to me. And it was only when I began to feel actual physical pain every time you left the room that it dawned on me: I was in love, for the first time in my life.'"

Brett's smiling, knowing exactly where the conversation was leading to. He had heard Eddy's rants numerous amounts of times to know just exactly what he was going to say next.

Eddy continues: "'I knew it was hopeless, but it didn't matter to me." He grabs ahold of Brett's hands, pressing them close to his body until he's enveloping Brett in his arms. He's so afraid, so terrified of what would happen if the truth were to bleed through the clouds hovering over his head. He was petrified of what would happen to Brett if he didn't remain ignorant to it all. And so he whispers, "'All I want is to deserve you.'"

"'Tell me what to do...'" Brett whispers in response, turning around to face Eddy's crystal eyes. "'Show me how to behave...'" he kisses the corner of Eddy's mouth, his hand traveling up to the scar on his arm. He presses it hard, until Eddy's hissing.

He whispers the finishing line of the dialogue of the play:

"'I'll do anything you say.'"

-

They walk through some portions of Vegas before their flight in the late afternoon. They'd make sure to prepare everything, that way they'd only come pick up their belongings once their done and be on their way to the airport.

Brett holds Eddy's hand eagerly, pointing at the fountain in front of The Mirage Hotel, spotting some ducks who were wandering mindlessly and going about their everyday lives, consisting in swimming in the fountain and peck at the grass. Brett's jumping up and down in excitement, making Eddy turn to look at the other tourists who didn't seem at all bothered by Brett, and he was able to relax a bit. He wouldn't want any middle aged lady yelling at him for his loud boyfriend who became excited over the smallest of things.

They make sure to look at everything they could look at before their flight. Entering the Caesar's Palace Mall had both of them in awe, Eddy was amazed by the ceiling especially. Brett was leaping up and down, pointing and gasping at the statues too.  The ceiling was vast and had the illusion of the sky with its blue colors and moving clouds. It was a whole different world in there, with the magnificent lights all around, including the shops.

But when he looks over at Brett, his happiness is immediately shut down.

"Were you and Brett perhaps more than friends?"

The sky illusion is reflecting off of the other's glasses, his mouth open in an 'o' as he spins, trying to look at everything at once. Although Brett looks the happiest he has ever been, and he's excited beyond belief, his cold hand is a reminder to Eddy. A reminder of all things that could've been true if he had simply not— no. He's having a good time here with Brett, now was not the time to venture into things that weren't as meaningful as the moment he was living now.