8 | All Is Well When You Treat It Well

Start from the beginning

Brett only laughs harder at the thought of himself dying, he's shaking his head and closing his eyes shut. "So what Eddy?" He responds with a simple shrug, bouncing out of Eddy's arms and crosses the street, this time pressing on the button for it to light up white before crossing.

"'So what'!?" Eddy exclaims, following him. "Did you not just hear me? You could've gotten killed Brett!"

"Oh whatever." Brett sighs, rolling his eyes towards Eddy. He's walking backwards with a small smile playing on his lips.

Eddy scoffs, and he's stopped walking. "You need to take your safety more seriously Brett! Quit rolling your eyes at me, I'm being serious!"

Brett stops walking as well, mirroring Eddy's stance and he raises an eyebrow. "Don't tell me you've become fond of me." He whispers, and slowly his smile fades at the way Eddy's gaze softens, and how his body visibly relaxes.

"Well call me a fool but I think I have." Eddy retorts, walking towards Brett again, this time he's smiling and holding his hand out towards him, which Brett gladly takes, his warm hands meeting Eddy's own. "You're the most beautiful mess I know Brett. You never remember your homework, you forget things within seconds of it being told to you, you continue to count on your fingers on simple math problems. That's why I've become so infatuated to you Brett, I would never want anything horrendous to happen to the only person I could ever become so close to."

"Awww, Eddy has gotten sappy." Brett jokes, pulling Eddy down the sidewalk to continue their journey to his home. But his face feels hot and his heart is beating in his ears. His hands become a bit sweaty, he's afraid Eddy would pull away, but he doesn't, he allows himself be dragged by Brett.

They soon arrive at Brett's home, and they're both thankful because the second they step into the terrain, they're dropping their backpacks along with their violin cases onto the couch.

"My mother is off visiting my aunt in another town." Brett tells Eddy when he locks the door of the house, making sure it's secured before flopping down on the couch next to Eddy. "She won't be back until perhaps Wednesday, which means I'm all lonely in this house until she gets back." He says with a sigh.

"And your dad?" Eddy can't help but ask.

"Oh he's off working aboard, with his business and what not." He says, looking at Eddy through his long bangs.

"What are you thinking about?" Eddy whispers, leaning in closer towards Brett. He's so close that he can feel the way his heart is palpitating, and the way Brett's hand is shaking slightly.

Brett shakes his head, biting his lip slightly. "Mindless things."

"Like?"

Brett hesitates for a moment, and he's drawling the words out in a small, almost faint, whisper. "What's the point of being alive if I can't be a fish?"

Eddy's then holding Brett's hand tightly against him. Their fingers are interlocking each other, and the words are spilling out of his mouth without a second thought.

"Can I be your reason?"

Brett turns to him with a confused look. "What?"

"Will you... live for me?" Eddy's thumb is massaging the back of Brett's hand so tenderly, so sweetly that Brett almost forgets what he had said only moments before. Eddy's hand is soothing, it's taking him to another realm; one where it's only him and Eddy.

Eddy. A person filled with an infinite amount of possibilities yet a simple being all together. It was him who had sparked such a grand color into his world from the day he yelled his name and grabbed tightly onto his arm. A stranger of his admiration, yet he was able to make his heart jump and leap and spring from doing absolutely nothing. Edward Chen.
Beautiful. Poised. Unreal. Wonderful.
Lovely.
Oh how lovely Eddy really was. He remembers even now how he was wondering if even speaking to Eddy was worth the risk: and now the answer is clear and in the palms of his hands. Of course it was clear. If he removed his glasses and stared at Eddy's blurry and mosaic face; it would be clear then too.