5 | Evening Fireworks Will Do The Trick

Start from the beginning

Eddy grabs his cellphone, not even bothering to check the contact name before answering. He was beyond angry, he was always one to have a short temper. Almost like Brett. Except Brett was wiser: he knew how to control it, Eddy didn't.

"What?" He barked, holding his phone to his ear and trying to calm his body down, having no vail. He sat down next to Brett on the bed, massaging the temples of his head with his other hand.

"Eddy? Is that you?" Came the voice of a woman on the other side. It was sweet and fragile, almost like Brett's.

Exactly like Brett's.

"Oh! Ms.Yang! I apologize for my greeting!" Eddy says quickly, caught off guard. He could feel his anger slowly dissipate to nothing as he heard her voice.

He hears her chuckle a bit before she says, "No need to apologize to me Eddy, I understand that I may have called at a wrong time." She paused, hearing Eddy exhale and inhale slowly. "I was just wondering if you were going on that trip after all..." She seemed to hesitate for a moment, and Eddy could feel the way she tensed up. "And I was also wondering if.." she trails off, leaving the incomplete sentence to hang in the air, making the atmosphere thicker.

"Well, yes Ms.Yang, Brett was able to convince me to. You know how much of a wonder he is." Eddy says with a chuckle, hoping that it would make her loosen up, but it only seemed to have the opposite effect.

"Eddy.." she says softly, and Eddy could hear her voice crack even through the phone. His grip on the device became tighter. "Were you and Brett perhaps... more than friends?"

His breath got caught in his throat as his eyes widened at the words he heard. He felt Brett look at him through his long bangs, he could feel Brett's cold fingertips on his body.

Brett and Eddy were closer than anything. They were best friends at one point, lovers at another. Together they liked to cause trouble, like rebel against societies standards or sometimes just do things they weren't supposed to. It gave them that sense of freedom, it was a way to escape from the truth; that they are in fact tied down to a flawed system.

As much as they rebelled, Brett and Eddy were always honest people. Eddy never lied to Brett's mother, nor to Brett himself. Brett never lied. They were both pure from lies, they always said the truth regardless of the consequences it might bring.

They weren't liars. Neither one of them.

But equally, at the same time, they both declared one lie. The same one that is. A lie that only burned in societies eyes, to their fans eyes, to their parents eyes. The truth remained only between them both, only they could know.

So when the question presented itself in front of Eddy, the only answer he could give is one he knew dear. The same answer he'd give to anything that scared him or something that was unknown to him. He was a coward. He gave the same answer he gave to Brett countless times, the one that his father had taught him so much about.

He turned away. He turned and ran.

"Ms.Yang, I must leave." He says quickly, cutting her next words short, a simple "Eddy!".

Then he's left sitting on the edge of the bed, with Brett's head on his lap. It's heavy, but not a burden. Brett would never be a burden.

"I thought you would tell her." Brett whispers, turning to look at Eddy.

"Never." He responds back. "I will never destroy something you and I created."

"I know."

"I would never break a promise."