Eddy watched Brett jump into the ocean swiftly, curving his body. He blinked the few drops of water that got onto his eyes away before he stared down at Brett, who was laying on his back with his eyes closed. He could see the few bubbles indicating he was sorta breathing but he was curious of Brett's behavior. Did he really think he was a fish?

"3... 4... 5.." Eddy began to count the seconds that passed with Brett underwater, not wanting the poor boy to somehow hurt himself in the process of this weird fish dream he had. "46... 47..."

Brett suddenly appeared above the water, laughing uncontrollably and kicking his feet, right as Eddy counted "a minute and four...".

"I don't think they wanted me today." Brett said pouting but continued laughing nonetheless, his glasses were once again disoriented but he didn't seem to care at all that they would probably be broken by the end of the summer if this continued.

"You really can hold your breath underwater." Eddy murmured, but Brett was quick to push him into the water, yelling some incoherent words before Eddy's body was plunged and all he could hear was the water surrounding him.

"What?" He coughed, trying to climb onto the rock only to have Brett kick his hands away. He was standing on top to the rock once again, this time arms crossed and his eyebrows furrowed, as if he were trying to make himself seem mad- maybe even superior. But all he managed to look was confused.

"I'm not holding my breath! Fish don't hold their breaths!" He shouted, gaining the attention of some people who were also trying to enjoy a day in the beach like them. "I'm a fish Eddy! You hear that! A fish! A fish doesn't hold their breath!"

"Yes you're a fish Brett!" Eddy plays along, bowing his head towards Brett who clearly appreciates the gesture and his grin returns, diving into the water again.

"You can come with me!" He tells Eddy, holding his face in between two sandy palms, "Maybe you're secretly a fish too!"

Eddy attempted to stay underwater with Brett, but his body wouldn't stay down the way Brett's did and his lungs were weak, and he found himself flailing to get to the shore before they even reached ten seconds. Brett could stay underwater for about a minute Eddy found out, sometimes even more, which scared him a bit.

Brett laughed once his head popped out of the sea, pulling Eddy down with him. "Do you think they would want me back as a fish again?" He asks, his hopes were up already, he had the potential to become a fish in his eyes. He could breathe underwater. He could swim. He could float in water. He could even hear the voices of the other fish.

"Maybe?" Eddy says, but Brett saw the doubt, immediately deflating of his happiness and he looked down into the water.

There was just something Brett was able to do to Eddy. Not only had he been able to allow Brett close to him, touch him, but he was also starting to give more attention to Brett than he desired. Not only that. Now he was caring for Brett. So when he saw the way he stopped laughing and the smile was replaced by a tight frown, he found himself wanting to make Brett happy. He wanted to be the reason for Brett's happiness.

He caught himself.

What was he thinking?

He looked at Brett, and the panic flooded into his senses. He rushed to the shore of the sea. Can't breathe. Can't breathe. Soon his feet were running on the sand rather than the small rocks at the bottom of the ocean. He didn't care about the messiness of the sand in that moment. He just needed to get away. He needed to get away from Brett.