Your mind blanked. "Umm..." You mumbled. "I don't know. You pick for me." You plopped down in the soft chair in front of the window. "Y/N, this will be the name that you'll be stuck with for life. You might as well pick." Martha said. You sighed. "Honestly, I don't know. The only time I've ever had to come up with a fake name was when an old neighbor had a child, and didn't feel like naming him. I named him Leaf because I couldn't come up with a better name."

James cringed. "Surely it was when you were a child, though?" He asked. You winced. "It was a few weeks before I traveled to the castle. So, a few weeks before this years winter began."

Martha covered her mouth, attempting to hold back her laughter. "Oh, Y/N." She choked out. "I will pick a few names for you then, and you can tell me which one you like."

You nodded eagerly. "Yes! Let's do it that way!" You said, leaning forward in your seat. Martha sat in the chair opposite of you. "Well...let's see. A girl from the Eastern villages passed through a few months back, and she had the prettiest name. She was called Mi-Sun. And of course, there's Abigail. That was what I was going to originally name Ruby. My uncle's friend was named Penelope. Or, you can name yourself after the Queen of Caidal, and call yourself Gadael."

"Caidal? Where is that?" You asked, distracted by the foreign name. "A kingdom quite far from us. They say that the royal family are direct descendants of angels. And the peasants have angel blood in them, just not as strong as the royals." James said, standing. He pulled a large map from the bottom drawer of his desk, and unfolded it. "It's here, on top of some very high mountains." He gestured to the edge of the map. Erydia was on the opposite side of the large piece of parchment. It made sense that you had never heard of this 'angel kingdom', seeing as it was so far away. An ocean and an entire third kingdom stood in the way.

To choose a name of a distant queen would most likely raise some eyebrows among those who knew of Caidal, which you assumed was most of the village and most definitely Hoseok. You couldn't risk bringing any attention to yourself, which meant choosing a name that blended in. "Mi-Sun will do."

"Well, Mi-Sun," James smiled, refolding the large map. "I will finish this marriage proposal and deliver it to Cain and Abel tomorrow. You should get some rest tonight. In this village, we do ask that everyone pull their weight somehow."

You nodded. "Will I be fishing?" You asked. James and Martha both laughed, confusing you. You forced a smile, but couldn't see what was so humorous in what you said. "You won't have to do that. You'll be baking some meat-pies with me so we can sell them around the lunch hour." Martha said. She reached forward and gently grasped your arm. "Come, I'll show you to your room."

She lead you out of the room and into the small hallway, dimly lit by a tall candle resting on a wooden shelf. She passed by Ruby's bedroom, which didn't have a door. You could faintly see the outline of her bed, but not much else. Next to her room, was a large wooden door with a large circular hole cut near the top. Martha seemed to sense your curiosity, because she quietly explained the strange door. "This was Alice's bedroom. When she was still a child, she would spend all day locked away in her room reading. We cut out a hole in her door to ensure she would take our bowls of soup so she didn't die of starvation."

The thought of a young Alice, sitting in the corner of the room surrounded by books made your heart warm. It definitely sounded like an Alice thing to do. Martha pushed the door open and pulled you inside, lighting a large candle that rested on a table next to the door. It barely lit the room completely, but it was enough for you to be able to make out its main features. There was a tiny window on the far wall, where her small bed was centered. Against all of the walls were books of all sizes, stacked high. It resembled Martha and James' room. You could understand where Alice's love for reading came from. In the left side corner next to the door was a pile of cushions and blankets, with a couple of books seemingly tossed to the side. It looked like it had been her reading spot.

"This will be your room for now." Martha said, breaking you from your thoughts. "I'm sure Abel will be quick to accept the marriage proposal, so Alice won't even notice that you've stayed here."

"Does she not like when other people use her room?" You asked, moving further into the dark space. You were careful not to trip over anything that might be invisible in the low lighting. "She's very protective over her books. Kids used to snatch them from her hands and throw them into the sea when they were feeling bored." Martha murmured. She picked up a small book that was laying next to the door and examined it. "She hasn't been home in a few years now. I hope that she'll come to visit soon."

"I'm sure homesickness will fuel her into visiting soon. Especially with how intense things are at the palace." You tried to comfort her. You didn't know just how close Alice was with her family, so you were unsure of how much she missed her home village. Martha sniffled, becoming emotional. "I know. The only reason she left for the palace was because she was tired of being courted by the village boys." Martha mumbled. "And at first, I didn't mind it. Her brother was already there, so I knew he'd watch after her. But news of the brutal murder at the palace had spread, and the anxiety came back full force. I worry for her life, and for Joseph's too. I just need my babies to be safe." She cried softly.

You moved back across the room and pulled the larger woman into your arms without hesitation. Your heart ached for her. You didn't have the heart to tell her that it was Hoseok who had committed the murder, and that it for you. You couldn't bear to admit that Alice was most definitely in danger because of you. So, you held your tongue while the older woman cried into your shoulder.