You looked back up at Kassie, who had a knowing look on her face. "I'll speak to Martha and James about it." You agreed softly. "But I think it's time for me to bring Ruby home. I don't want to keep her out too late." You said, standing and stretching your legs. Kassie stood too, reaching forward to pull you into an awkward hug. "I hope we become sisters soon. It's nice to have someone to be able to relate to when it comes to trauma from the palace." She half-joked. You laughed lightly.

"Yeah, we can gossip about all of the dumb things that the Prince's do." You joked back. She rolled her eyes and waved her hand at you. "Not enough time in the world for that." She mumbled. You gestured to Ruby to gather her things as Kassie made her way over to the door. "I'll leave with you. Samuel is still out there enjoying himself. I might as well join him." She said. "By the way, my new name is Olivia."

"Thank you. For explaining things to me and giving me the courage to make my decision." You said to her, giving her a warm smile. Then, Ruby took your hand softly. "I'm sleepy." She mumbled. You squeezed her hand. "I know. We're going home now." You murmured to her. Kassie opened the door and gestured for you to exit first. The cold air chilled you almost immediately. You waved goodbye to Kassie, before hoisting Ruby up into your arms and hurrying back to your temporary home.

Martha was the first to notice the half-asleep girl in your arms when you entered the warm hut. She gently took her from you and carried her out of sight, presumably to put her to bed. James was seated at a desk in the corner of the room, scribbling something on a long piece of red parchment. You assumed that he hadn't noticed you for a moment, but then he set his quill down and turned his head to look at you.

"Y/N, I'd like to talk." He said, his voice kind. You had a feeling you knew what it was about, so you cut him off. "I'd like to proceed with marriage proposal to Abel." You blurted out. James' eyebrows shot up, and he turned his body to face you properly. "Oh?" He asked. "What made you change your mind? I saw how skeptical you were about it at dinner."

You pulled the heavy cloak off, starting to feel warm. "I ran into Kassie." You began, neatly folding the dark garment. "And she told me that she had married Abel's brother when she came to the village. She told me that Abel was kind, and so was his family. Also, I don't want to put you or your family in any danger...if I marry and change my name, then at least you will be safe and it will make it harder for them to track me down."

James nodded thoughtfully, relief evident in his expression. "Yes, of course. I'm glad that you were able to come to this conclusion. We would never force you to marry if you truly didn't want to, but it's wise." He said. "Abel is also a very good man. He's young like you, and from the way he was looking at you when he dropped you off earlier, you've definitely caught his eye. He's strong and healthy, and can support you through the long, cold winter months. He truly is a good option for marriage."

Martha reappeared, placing her finger to her lips. "Speak softly. Ruby is fighting sleep, and I don't feel like fighting her tonight." She murmured. You smiled softly. Ruby was definitely an energetic little girl from what you could see. She had some fight in her, which was valuable for a village girl in your opinion. Many times, you had watched one of your old neighbors allowing themselves to be walked all over by their new husbands or their brothers.

"Y/N has agreed to a marriage proposal with Abel." James said softly to his wife. Martha's eyes lit up, and she turned to you. "Oh, that's wonderful!" She beamed. "He truly is such a gentleman. He's nice and strong too, he'll take care of you in every way." She winked. Your face immediately got red when you caught the naughty undertones of her statement.

James came to the rescue before she could make another inappropriate statement. He cleared his throat, pulling his red parchment in front of him. "We will have to give you a new name, then." He said. "I already began to draft a proposal, just in case you would decide to agree. All you must do is pick a new name."