Chapter Twenty - The Girl

Start from the beginning

The girl's face lit up. Maybe her opinion about him was wrong. Maybe she was wrong about him. (Y/N) snickered when she heard Jotaro's secret. What had all those girls thought when they had seen that Jotaro hadn't come to school in a while? What had her mother thought when she saw the note with her writing on it?

*

Polnareff kept standing behind Avdol as he tried to navigate the sea. "Are you sure you know how to drive this thing, Avdol?" he asked, scratching his head. "Do you need some help?" Even though he had no idea what all the buttons on the piloting board were doing, he still wanted to help. 

The man was concentrated enough to be able to ignore all of the Frenchman's stupid questions. "I'm alright by myself, thank you."

"And even if he wasn't," the old man included himself in the discussion. "I could've been the one driving it!"

Jotaro puffed. "Don't even think about it! You're not putting us through another crash." he said harshly to his grandfather. 

As the three students were relaxing at the table, Mr. Joestar and Avdol were explaining to Polnareff what's going on in the submarine. Too bad he never takes anything seriously. The interior of the submarine was actually quite spacious, also having a small bar with coffee and other drinks and medium, round windows. It was white, a bit too white for (Y/N's) taste, but it was pleasant. However, even though Avdol mentioned that there was nothing they should've worried about around them, the crusaders had to keep in their mind that they were almost sixty meters under the sea and that they didn't really have anywhere to go.

As Kakyoin got up to fetch some drinks for the others, Mr. Joestar went to the phone, placed right next to the big table they were all staying at. As (Y/N) rested her head on it, she heard the old man dialing. She lifted her head, hoping that the phone was actually working. As Mr. Joestar managed to talk to his wife, her hopes of talking again to her parents rose. After he was done, the girl got up from her chair, being followed by Jotaro's gaze. "Now that you're standing, make me a coffee." he demanded, but somehow without sounding arrogant. 

However, (Y/N) took it as it was. "Make it yourself." she stated and walked up to the old man who had just finished his conversation. It seemed like he had to lie to his wife about the journey and even about Mrs. Kujo's state. She wished that Mr. Joestar would let her try to dial home, but her hopes were low. However, he did, understanding how hard it must've been for (Y/N) to leave her family and come to that journey, knowing the dangers. Almost having tears in her eyes, the girl thanked the old man and picked up the receptor, starting to type in her home's phone number. She waited. Her smile faded as nobody was picking up. After the call ended, (Y/N) desperately tried again, her hands already shaking. She thought of the worst: what if her leaving made her mother go mad? Maybe she did something (Y/N) couldn't even dare think of... 

"Hello?" a familiar, feminine voice could be heard from the other side of the call. 

(Y/N) instantly jumped and her smile reappeared on her face, along with some lost tears. "M-mom?" she stuttered. 

The woman gasped, but didn't answer. Instead, she called someone, but the girl couldn't really tell who that was, since the signal was not the best down there. A man's voice suddenly made (Y/N's) heart thrill. "(Y/N)! (Y/N) sweetheart, is that you?"

"Yes! Yes it's me d-dad!" she sniffed and wiped her tears with her uniform's sleeve.

"Where are you? We've been searching for you everywhere! Are you alright? Why can't we hear you well? (Y/N), please come back to us, it's been more than a month!" The fact that she couldn't tell them anything, made (Y/N's) heart break and all the excitement transformed into sadness.