"Just leave me alone."

It took us all of the rest of the day to finish the project. It's ten thirty at night and we're driving back to the dorms from an animal shelter, where I donated the rest of the left over money dad gave me, so I have three hundred and sixty seven dollars to my name.

My phone starts ringing. Ryan has his feet on the dashboard and his hand on my knee and he's half asleep, Naomi is asleep with her head against the door, and Dylan is asleep in the same position as Naomi. The top is down and the warm night air feels good.

I pick up my phone and it's a number I don't recognize.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Yes, hi, is this uh..." there's a short pause. "Kelsey Nova Davis?"

"This is. May I ask who is speaking?"

"Hi, my name is Stephanie Waters. I'm the manager at Starbucks on state road 54 in Land O' Lakes?"

"Oh yes, hi." I say, looking at the time. It's seriously ten thirty three on a Sunday night and she's just now calling me?

I keep my mouth shut with complaints, even though I put in the application two weeks ago and I've called them every other day and have shown up every other day except for Friday, yesterday, and today.

Saint Leo's is technically in Land O' Lakes. It's in walking distance from the Starbucks I'm trying to transfer.

"Well, I'm calling to let you know that your application to switch to this Starbucks from the one in New York City has been approved. We've decided to just skip the interview. What days can you work? I know you put it on your application but I just want to make sure."

"I can work on Monday's, Wednesday's, Friday's, Saturday's, and Sunday's."

"Okay, I am assuming you have class on Tuesday and Thursday at Saint Leo University?"

"Yes." I say.

"Okay, alright, wonderful. Well, you got the job, so do you want to come in this Wednesday and say...eight in the morning, and we'll get you set up and ready?"

"Sure, sounds wonderful. Do I have to go through any training?"

"No, no, you already know it all. Do you have the proper uniform?"

"Yes I do." I say.

"Alright, wonderful." She says. "So I'll see you on Wednesday?"

"You'll see me on Wednesday." I confirm

"Alright, great, bye Kelsey."

"Bye Stephanie."

She hangs up.

Ryan is almost asleep, but he mumbles, "Who was that?"

"My new manager." I smile. He yawns.

"You got the job?" he asks.

"Mmm hmm." I nod. He mutters something, but I don't hear it, and he falls asleep before I can ask him to repeat himself.

****

An hour and fifteen minutes later, I shut off the engine and look in the rearview mirror. I can put up te top without killing Naomi and Dylan, so I put the top up and roll up the windows.

"Guys." I say gently. "Wake up. We're here."

Ryan stirs slightly and lifts his head up. He rubs his eyes and looks out the windshield, and then he yawns and gets out of the car. Dylan wakes up next, looks at Naomi, and then gets out. I twist around and pat Naomi's knee.

"Naomi." I say gently. "Wake up so you can go get in bed."

Dylan is already walking to his dorm, but Ryan is leaning against the sign that says Dorm number 237.

Naomi looks up and Dylan's retreating form and gets out of the car. I grab my purse and get out too, shutting the door. I press the lock button. Naomi disappears upstairs without a glance or a goodbye to Ryan.

I, however, turn to him.

"I think that Naomi and Dylan are fighting." He whispers when I step closer.

"Maybe." I say. "They've been acting weird."

"And he didn't stop for her to say goodnight." Ryan mutters, half awake.

I lean up and kiss his cheek. "You should get some rest. You seem exhausted." I run my fingers through his hair.

"Let me walk you to your dorm." He whispers.

"You don't have to."

"But I want to." He whispers. "I'm not ready to let you out of my sight just yet."

"You could sleep over." I whisper.

"I'd love to, but I need to talk to Dylan and make sure he's okay."

I nod. "Okay." I whisper, biting my lip.

"Kiss already." Some girl says as she passes us to the stairs. We don't get a chance to reply before she's out of sight. I giggle.

He puts his arm around my shoulder and the slight scent of axe reaches my nose. I inhale deeply.

"You smell good." I whisper.

He gives me a tired smile, and then we start to walk to the stairs.

He walks me to my door, and then turns to me and opens his arms.

"Hug?" he whispers.

I smile and hug him tightly. His strong embrace brings a chill to my spine. I hug him as tight as I can, and he doesn't seem to want to let go.

"I love you." he whispers, pulling back slightly to look me in the eye.

"I love you too." I whisper.

His eyes search mine for nearly a minute, and then he leans in and kisses me.

My eyes flutter shut.

It's not a very long kiss. He pulls away slowly, and then hugs me again. I'm trying not to fan girl at the thought of me just having my first kiss with the guy I've been missing for nine years.

"I'll be over around eleven tomorrow morning so we can make the scrapbook for the project." He whispers.

"Okay." I whisper, fighting a scream of excitement. He kisses my forehead, and then shoves his hands in his pockets.

"Night."

"Night." I whisper.

He disappears down the hallway. I go to the bathroom and do my business, and then I walk into the dorm and rest against the shut door.

I open my mouth to tell Naomi, but she's on the phone.

"Well just because you're in a mood doesn't mean you have to be a total dick to me. I'm your fucking girlfriend, Dylan!" she listens for a second. "Well whatever. Fuck you! I told you four times I didn't mean to!" she listens again. "Fine. Bye." She hangs up and slams her phone down on her pillow.

I silently change into my pajamas.

"Do you want to talk about-"

"No." she snaps. "Just leave me alone."

I don't answer. I understand her frustration, but that doesn't mean she needs to take it out on me.

Quietly, I plug my phone in and climb in bed.

I'm pretty sure Naomi cries herself to sleep.