Chapter 24: Honestly Lying

Start from the beginning

"You mustn't read this," she said, closing the book with a snap, causing a large cloud of dust to erupt into the space between them.

"Why not?"

"G. Bainard - you do not know who he is?" Helena pressed.

"Not yet," Estela replied, eyeing her suspiciously, trying to figure out who this man might have been. Obviously there was a possibility that she could know him; that much was evident from Helena's reaction. But who was he? Then a thought flashed across her racing mind. "Wait-" she said slowly, trying to work things out frantically.

"You've figured it out?" Helena asked, frowning at her.

"G. Bainard is the Bloody Baron?" she asked slowly as things gradually fell into place in her mind. Helena's eyes darted around quickly as she told Estela not to speak so loudly. "Why don't you want me to read it?"

"This book contains my story, Estela, a story I am not proud of in the slightest," she said wretchedly.

"It's not your story I'm interested in, it's the Baron's and what he has to say about Slytherin."

"Slytherin?" Helena asked in a high voice. "What do you want to know about him?" she said with a tone of repugnance.

"Slytherin is a part of me too, Helena, I can't just ignore that."

"A Ravenclaw is who you truly are. I have seen it in you since you were eleven. Looking into Slytherin will bring you nothing but harm, Estela, heed my words."

Estela shook her head. Helena wouldn't understand. She held a grudge against Slytherin ever since her encounter with the Baron. "I need to know more."

Helena frowned. "It is natural to want to know who you are and where you come from. But Slytherin was a wicked man with ruthless intentions, and you are nothing like him," she said, a shadow of sadness spread across her face. "You need not know more."

"I suppose it's my Ravenclaw characteristics that bring out my thirst for more knowledge," she said with a faint smile, knowing this would somewhat satisfy Helena who nodded softly. "I don't want to be like Slytherin - I really don't - it's just I feel like I'm missing something, and I have a feeling that the book is going to help me find it," she said, holding out her hand to Helena who was tightly gripping the Baron's book. Somewhat reluctantly, Helena handed it back to her.

"Do not think badly of me when you hear my story," she said sadly, before she floated off down the corridor serenely.

***

Estela heard a familiar voice calling her name

Estela heard a familiar voice calling her name. Anthony had come out of the Common Room and was motioning her over. She quickly hid the book in her bag before he had a chance to make his way over to her.

"I told Cayra everything I remember about that night and... well she wants to talk to you," he said with a mixture of emotions running across his face.