Chapter 2: The Task

Chapter 2: The Task

Estela pocketed Dumbledore's note as she left the Great Hall, her pace quick as the sensation of those piercing blue eyes was still evident on her skin.

She had been summoned to the Headmaster's office, and she wasn't quite sure if that was good or bad. What confused her, though, was the fact that Headmaster Dippet was sitting in the Great Hall this very moment, sipping Firewhisky and nibbling on the food scattered across the Head Table. So she wondered why the Transfiguration teacher would want to see her in the Headmaster's office rather than his own.

The hallway was lit by the many torches hanging along the stone walls, guiding her through Gargoyle Corridor towards the Headmaster's office. She came to a halt when she reached a gap in the stone wall, where a mighty, golden gargoyle sat proudly, its wings stretched out sideways to conceal the spiralling staircase behind it.

Her mind went blank as she realised she didn't know the password to enter the office, but not a moment later, the golden gargoyle began to rotate as though it sensed her presence. And so taking a deep breath, she made her way upwards.

"Enter," said the voice beyond a large, wooden door.

It was a large and beautiful circular room, full of funny little noises. The walls were covered with portraits of old headmasters and headmistresses, all of whom seemed to be snoozing gently in their frames. There they were, the famed wizards and witches of Hogwarts: Brutus Scrimgeour, Phineas Nigellus Black, Dilys Derwent, and -

Vindictus Viridian, who seemed to be the only portrait who wasn't asleep. His eyes met hers for a moment, before they closed, as though he wanted nothing more than to drift off to sleep with his fellow headmasters.

She didn't know much about the former Headmaster, Vindictus Viridian, only that he was a well-known potioneer, and that he wrote the famed book Curses and Counter-Curses.

Returning her attention to the main point at hand, Estela looked towards the far end of the office to see a tall, thin man with auburn hair turning slightly silver sitting behind a claw-footed desk. This was Albus Dumbledore, the Transfiguration teacher.

He was a very well-respected wizard, incredibly smart and extremely well known throughout the Wizarding World, and not to mention one of Estela's favourite teachers. Dumbledore was kind and compassionate, he was understanding, and though he favoured the Gryffindors a bit more than the other houses, he was always prepared to help you should you have any worries.

Estela remembered coming to Dumbledore during her first year after Astrea Black, a profoundly proud pure-blood Slytherin girl, bullied her for not having any real parents. She remembered the way he handled the situation, speaking kindly to her 11 year old self as he gave her his words of wisdom which have stuck with her to this very day.

"Ah, Estela. Come, please take a seat," said Dumbledore, smiling kindly at her.

His light blue eyes were glistening as she sat down in a chair opposite him. He appeared to be scanning her face for a moment before he spoke. He often did this, Estela had noticed, searched for something that seemed invisible to most other people. It was a curious little habit, but no doubt there was a plausible purpose to it. There was a purpose to everything that Dumbledore did.

"I'm sure you're keen to know why I have called you here?" He asked, surveying her over his half-moon glasses.

"Yes, sir. Is everything all right?"

"I must ask a favour of you. Quite a large favour, I must add," said the professor, "However before I disclose certain information, I require your word that you won't tell another soul what I'm about to tell you. That is imperative," he said seriously.