chapter 2

chapter 2- someone new hozier

The birds were loud as fuck from where I sat in my backyard. But I promised my moms I'd finish the apple I cut up this morning. Sitting out here seemed like the best way to keep that promise. Momma and Ashton went to the grocery store and Mom went up to Olympia for work. In the journal next to me I scribbled down the time and what I ate and left a spot for mom to sign later.

It's been about a week since the soccer match but I haven't seen that boy since. He still played that night but practically avoided looking in my direction again. Guess some things aren't meant to be. Today however was the first day of my senior year and I haven't seen almost anyone since we were 15.

Halfway through my sophomore year I just kind of dropped off the face of the earth, and gave no one an explanation why. Cutoff my boyfriend of 18 months. Tried to cut off Mikey too, but he dug in his heels and said "You can't get rid of me that easily". And yeah Mike knows it was bad for me. But no one knows just how bad. I figured people would talk or ask questions now that I'm back but I honestly hope they don't. Some answers are better left unsaid.

Brushing the dust off my ankle-length skirt I checked the time on my phone. Should definitely head out for school just about now. Not very many people knew this either but I want to major in Fashion when I go to college. Momma thinks it's cool, mom thinks it's impractical but is willing to do anything to keep me from hitting rock bottom again. I dunno what my dad thinks, but I'm sure he'll be alright with it. I'm intrigued by the business aspect of the fashion industry and I love styling and I kinda hope to run my own business one day. It's one of the main reasons why I started interning with Mali-Koa. She's this awesome woman of color running her own professional studio and she makes having a business seem fun. I got a lot to learn from her and can't wait to get back to work after class today.

Having fourth period english was terrible honestly. Putting my least favorite class before lunch seemed criminal. I had Ms.Miller back in sophomore year and here I am back in her classroom. She probably doesn't even remember having me as a student plus I hate writing for a grade. For some reason all English teachers had a weird obsession with get-to-know projects the first week of school.

I tried not to draw too much attention to myself as I slid into a desk. Up on the white board "Partner Project" was written in big blue letters. And don't get me wrong I don't hate people but I was really just trying to slide by this year. Doing a get to know you partner project was not just sliding by.

The bell hadn't rung yet but the class continuously filled and within the minute only a few desks remained empty. I kept my gaze forward so as not to accidentally make eye contact with anyone. Ms.Miller's raspy voice rang out in the hall ushering kids to class and just as the bell sounded a tall body came and blocked my light.

Like a magnet I couldn't help but let my eyes drag up the person's body before connecting our stares. It was the soccer boy. His brown eyes were so dark they reminded me of freshly brewed coffee. His aura kinda radiated warmth like coffee too.

Maybe I've spent too much time with momma recently.

He smiled down at me and a dimple carved into his flushed cheeks. He walked away to a desk some rows behind me before I could return the smile. And an instant later our classroom door was shut with a thud. Ms.Miller floated across the floor and leaned against her desk at the front of the room.

"Welcome back to school students," the phrase caused a few mumbled greetings in return and a sports boy to shout something that shouldn't've been said in a high school classroom. Ms.Miller chuckled along with the class and I could tell I wasn't gonna like her much this year if she puts up with this shit.