Chapter 24 - Under the Mask and Glasses

I slowly wake up to the sound of the heart monitor beeping in a steady rhythm. I open my eyes and quickly shut them again, the lights being too bright. I squint as I take a second gather my thoughts.

I slowly sit up and look around, back at the compound, I must have blacked out after... wait did they kill the hydra agent? Did he get away?

I was slowly brought out of my thoughts when I seen a figure standing in the door way. I can tell that it's Steve without having to look at him.

"Did you get him?" I ask, in a calm tone, making sure to keep my emotions in check. I keep a neutral expression on my face as I stare blankly at the wall ahead, it's a very interesting wall.

"Yes, we did" he replies as he puts his hands in his pockets and slowly steps into the room. Closing the door behind him and taking a seat beside her.

"But what?" I ask, know there was more to it. There's always more isn't there. That's how everything works.

"What? How?" He stutters before asking "how did you know there was more?" He finically asks in shock.

I keep staring at the wall, not turning to meet his gaze. "Who is it?" I spit out. I need to know who killed Josh and who stabbed me and knocked me off my game the last time. This guy has to get out of my head.

"Y/n," he starts "look maybe it's for the best." He suddenly stops talking as I jump up out the bed, still in the stupid hospital gown they make you wear. I rip the IV out of my arm before he can stop me. Along with all the stupid sticky things. "What, where do you think you are going?" He asks, in an angry tone, his voice is much more serious now with a hint of concern.

"Well, if you won't tell me, I'll find out for myself." I state as I rip of the gown and throw on my clothes that where sitting on the spare chair. Probably placed there by Nat at some point. I glanced at my wound but didn't pay much attention to it. I can take of it later and it looks like it's fine. For now.

I slip into the pair of boots that where there and walk over to the door that was being blocked by the super soldier.

"Move" I command. I keep my eyes straight ahead of my, avoiding eye contact with him. But he doesn't seem to move an inch. Nothing.

"Move!" I say again, it's time in a tone much commanding, one I only used when I absolutely had to. I made eye contact as I said it. He could see the seriousness in my eyes and he finically stepped aside, with a sigh.

He followed close behind me as I stormed up the interrogation room, it was behind the lab, and was hardly ever used. As I get to the hallway I see the rest of the team, kind of in shock of my sudden appearance.

"Who is it?" I ask Nat who is the only one willing to make eye contact right now. I'm not too sure what's going on right now but I will get to the bottom of it.

"You should be resting" my brother says as he enters the room. I look at him, keeping my expression neutral. His seems one of worry u like his usual face which was one full of sarcasm and sarcastic comments.

"Good job breaking it to her" Clint says as he walks over and pats Steve who had finally joined the rest of the the team, on the arm.

"Breaking what to me?" I ask immediately. I lock eyes with Tony and take two steps forward towards him. Standing directly in front of him now. Face to face.

"Y/n" Steve says from behind me but I choose to ignore him and keep my focus on Tony who, for some reason, doesn't seem to be backing down either. His eyes are full of worry. Why can't someone tell me what's going on?

"Tony!" I say in a sharp voice, making Sam jump which I witness from the corner of my eye. He slowly blinks as he opens his mouth to tell me but no words seem to be coming out.

I brush past him, pushing him out the way and heading towards the door of which the murder is in.

"Y/n I don't think you should" Wanda says in a calm voice. She places a hand in my shoulder and I quickly brush it off as I push the door open and see the man tied to the chair.

I can not believe the man I am seeing. I can't believe who it is. I stand there for a moment completely shocked.

"You!" I shout. Making him instantly turn to face me. His face bruised and cut. One cut still bleeding, he looked like he had been through hell and back.

I walk over to him and punch him in the face, I think I might have broke his nose considering how much blood is gushing out right now.

"I hate you" I state as he looks at me. I can't stand to look at him anymore as I turn on my heels to walk out.

"Y/n" he states, his voice rough and hoarse from not being used in a while.

I still can't get over who is it tied in the chair. Of all the people in the world I would never have thought it to be him. To be my best friend. To be Dylan.

I turn back around, facing him and I can't hold back my anger. I am trying to hard but I can't. Before I know it I'm beating the shit clean our of him. Kicking. Punching. As if he's nothing more than a punching bag. Out of nowhere, I feel arms wrapped around my waist, lifting me up and carrying me away from him. I kick for him to let me down but it doesn't work. I can feel the tears escaping my eyes.

Before we leave I can hear my voice breaking as I shout "I TRUSTED YOU" at the top of my lungs. I am so angry, sad, annoyed, betrayed there just isn't enough words to describe how I feel right now.

We finally get outside and use the super soldiers's shoulder to cry on. Letting all the angry tears out. I can't hold them back so there's no use trying to. I can feel him as he rubs circles on my back. I watch with my blurry vision, as Rhodey closes the door after we walk out of it. I just want to cry and scream and let everything out right now.

He carry's me to the living room and sets me on the couch. Kneeing down in front of me as I keep my gaze on my hands which are placed on my lap. My eyes are red and puffy. He placed his hands over mine but I have yet to meet his eyes. He places a hand on my cheek and wipes away a tear that escapes my eye.

"I'm sorry" he whispers as he squeezed my hand. I just nod in response. Not being able to find any words to say to him. He pulls me in for a hug and he lifts me up again as he sits down on the sofa and places me beside him, my head buried in his chest and his arms wrapped around me. It's as if all the problem sink away when he holds me.

~~~~~~~~

Word count: 1296

Thank you everyone who is reading and liking the story. Please tell me what you think in the comments and remember to vote !
I JUST SAW THE 1.1k READS AND HONESTLY I CANT THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH AND THE 50 VOTES!!!!

Love you all!