Chapter 21 - Nightmares

While we are all lying watching the movie on the comfy couches, I feel Steve's strong arm gently wrap around my shoulder. I cuddle in closer to him and place my head on his chest. I can hear the smooth rhythm of his heart beat as I feel his chest rise and fall. All of a sudden I feel really tired, guess the lack of sleep has finally caught up to me. I drift off to sleep while cuddling into Steve on the couch. The smooth sound of the movie playing the background.

Steve's POV

I decide to go for it, I lift my arm and slowly wrap it around y/n, hoping she don't freak out or anything. Before I know it her head is on my chest, with her arm wrapped round my waist. I carefully push a few stray hairs away from her face and behind her ear, that's when I notice she's asleep.

An hour later and the movie is finally over and the lights come back on. As everyone says their goodnights, I slowly get out for under her and lift her up, trying my best not to wake her, and carry her to her bed. I carry her bridal style, I was going to wake her up but she just looked so peaceful. I lay her on her bed and pull the blankets up over her, tucking her in so she's nice and warm. As I'm walking towards the door I hear her start to mumble. Aw she's dreaming, I think to myself. And then all of a sudden it starts to get more intense.

Her whole body is shaking, I can't completely make out what she's saying but I get some words; "Tony, I need help, he's been shot!" I shake her trying to wake her up but it's no use. "Y/n! Wake up, it's just a dream!" I shout.

Y/n POV

I shoot my eyes open and gasp for breath. I see Steve sitting on the edge of the bed, both his arms on each side of my shoulders, he looks really worried with his eyebrows furrowed. We wait a few minutes for my breath to go back to normal before either one of us speaks.

"Are you alright?" He ask, his tone serious but concerned. His face still filled with worry and his baby blue eyes look scared.

"Yeah, just another nightmare," I run my hand over my face, trying to get this conversation other with as quick as possible. "How long did I sleep for?" I ask, it's not like I'm going to get any sleep now anyway, might as well just add up the hours now.

"Two hours, I think, but what do you mean another?" He asks in concern again, his expression not changing. He lifts his right hand off my shoulder and places is on the side of my cheek. He wipes away the single tear that escaped.

I shrug my shoulder is response, I'm not too sure what he wants me to say. I roll my head to look down at my hands fidgeting on my lap but a hand pushing my chin up brings my gaze back to meet his. I take a deep breath, I can feel my eyes starting to water. I know I should tell him the whole story but I just don't want him to look at me with pity.

"Y/n" his eyes looking straight into mine, like nothing else is the whole world matters, just me and him, here and now. I give him a sad smile before leaning back to rest my head on the headboard.

"There nothing new, I've already had them" I start, I can't look him in the eyes so I stare towards the ceiling. "Ever since... ever since Josh died, it's just been one horrible memory on reply every time I close my eyes... it's all I see." My breath is shaky, I fiddle with my hands on my lap even more. I feel a hand over my hands and I look at him, he doesn't say anything, it's like he's processing what's happening.

"Please, stay with me tonite?" I ask, I just don't want to have to keep going through this on my own anymore, it hurts too much. He gives me a smile and climbs into bed beside me. He pulls me in close and I rest my head on his chest again with his arms wrapped around me. I feel safe, and warm.

As I'm just about to fall into sleep I feel him press a kiss on my head and whisper "it's going to be okay, I'm not going to let anything hurt you anymore." My stomach feels like it is full of butterflies. And I believed him, I'm not sure why but I really did feel that when I was with him, I was protected for everything evil in this world.

~~~~~~

The next morning I woke up and looked up to see Steve staring down at me, his hand playing with my hair. My arms where still wrapped around him. I squeezed him tightly before sitting up and leaning in, giving him a kiss on the lips. He instantly leaned in too, making our lips collide for what felt like not long enough before we parted.

"Good morning to you too" he said in his deep morning voice that would make anyone fall for him. He lifted both his arms and pulled me back into him, engulfing me in another hug. He kissed the top of my head again before I spoke up.

"Thank you, for last night" I croaked, since my voice hadn't been used yet. I turned my head looking into his baby blue eyes, I could feel the butterflies dancing in my stomach again. I watched as a smile made it's way onto his lips.

"It's no problem doll" he replied. Doll? I felt my heart melt as he said it. I never wanted to leave, I was just so comfortable in his arms. I looked in his eyes again and saw him look at my lips for a second before back into my y/c/e. He stroked a piece of stray hair from me face and leaned in again only this time the kiss was more passionate. We both sat up, not breaking this kiss and I moved onto Steve's lap. His hands naturally moved around my waist, steadying me.

All of a sudden there was a knock on the door. I jumped of Steve and mouthed hide under the bed while I shouted "just a minute!" I watched as Steve struggled to get under the bed, it was kind of funny to watch if someone hadn't disturbed us. I finally opened the door and say Tony standing there.

"Oh, it's you" I spit out, the words left my mouth before I had a chance to even think about them. He looks shocked, as if I said the worst thing ever.

"Well good morning to you too" he snaps back. He steps forward, pushing the door open so he can come in. Before I realise he's already walked into my room and sat down on the bed.

"Come in" I sarcastically say as I shut the door behind me. I look at him and he has a smirk on his face.

"What do you want?" I ask, getting straight to the point, I cross my arms over my chest. I lean against the wall and bite the inside of my cheek, trying to keep a serious look on my face.

"Just thought I'd stop by, see how you where" he said as he patted the bed beside me for me to come and sit down beside him.

"I'm fine" I reply as I take a seat beside him, I almost forgot that Steve was under the bed and was probably getting squashed by now, my bad, sorry Steve. Tony placed his hand on my shoulder, a gesture we used to do as kids when we wanted to ask something serious and wanted the truth, I looked up at him, looking into his eyes.

"Y/n," he started as he let out a breath only to continue "how's the nightmares going?" He asked which took my surprise.

"I don't have them anymore thanks for asking" I lie, I don't want him to worry anymore than he does and with the mission tomorrow, I really want him not be worried about something so stupid as a nightmare, it's for the best, right?

"Are you sure?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes" I lie again. He pulls me in for a hug and I say my usual 'I'm not really a hugger' line and lead him out only for him to tell me that breakfast will be ready in 5.

~~~~~~~~~~

Word count: 1475

Hey guys so I made this one a bit longer as I haven't updated in a wee while, hope you are enjoying it and please vote and tell me what you think. Shout y/n have told Tony? Should Steve tell Tony anyways? What will happen on the mission tomorrow? Where did Dylan go?