1

"That's not halal," I said crossing my arms.

"Does it matter?" She asked with an annoying smirk.

"Yes it does," I said growing more and more impatient. "Can you move?" I said pushing her away by her chest.

With one more incredibly annoying smirk she moved away and continued walking down the hallway.

Joane is one of my classmates and ever since I moved to the states and to this school she has been nothing but an annoying prick. Her constantly flirting and pinning me in the hallways were getting under my skin.

I don't care if she's a lesbian or if she has a stupid crush on me, I'm not interested and the bare minimum she could do is respect that.

With a sign, I resume walking down the hallway and into the cafeteria.

"Hey," I said sitting down with my group of friends, that is if you can call two people a group of friends.

"What took you so long?" Blay, my closest friend and one of my classmates, asked as she pealed her banana.

"Joane," I said simply taking my food out of my bag.

"Damn, she doesn't give up," Andrew said with an amused smile.

"She really doesn't and it's starting to get under my skin, I'm not a violent person but she deserves a good slap."

"Aw, don't say that. She's in love," Blay said pouting.

"No, she's not, she just wants me because she knows, and Allah knows, I don't want her and apparently the only one that doesn't want her, you all drool at her," I murmured rolling my eyes and in that same instant I see her from across the cafeteria and her crystal blue eyes fall on me, they are just a shade away from grey.

Joane is incredibly pretty, her black hair just barely touched her shoulders and she was tall for a girl but not ridiculously tall. I get it why literally every girl and boy has either a crush or is jealous of her but I have neither.

I advert my eyes as she smiled at me.

"I don't want her," Andrew said in a small voice but immediately blushes as I raise a brow at him.

"Enough of talking about her," I groaned before Blay could so much as open her mouth.

We chatted mainly about the classes we would be having in the afternoon for the rest of the lunch period, I could feel Joane's eyes on me but I refused to acknowledge her.

After lunch, Blay and I walked to our next class that would be English Lit, the subject I hated the most for being so boringly... boring.

Blay and I sat together as we waited for the bell, this was one of the classes I had with Joane that sat just behind us, this was a coincidence though, she was already sat there when Blay and I claimed this desk so I can only blame myself.

Not long after the bell rang and the teacher started talking, he wasn't even saying anything literature related but I was already feeling sleepy just by hearing his voice, that is until I hear "... Group project." That immediately sparked my attention, anything that was not related to having to hear him talk sparked my attention actually. "You'll be divided into pairs and assigned to read 'The Age of Innocence' by Edith Wharton, I want an essay in the form of a book review."

"That's easy enough," I said turning to Blay with a smile.

"The pairs will be chosen by chance, write your names in a piece of paper and put them inside this hat," he said before Blay could answer and the smile immediately vanished from my face.