Invitation

Cheryl invites Toni over for dinner for the first time, however she is anxious about her dad's reaction, because he isn't a fan of her 'lifestyle' as he calls it.

Penelope and Jason are both very accepting and supportive.

Cheryl and Toni have been dating for 7 months but Toni has never properly met Cheryl's dad.

*Fluff
*Homophobic comments

"Hey mom can I talk to you for a sec?" Cheryl says peeking around the corner of her mom's office.

"Yes sure sweetheart, come in", Penelope answers, turning around in her chair to look at her daughter.

Cheryl enters, closing the door behind her. "Uhm..I've been thinking lately about dad and his so called standards that he wants me to live up to. I've got an idea, however I wanted to inform you beforehand."

Penelope looked confused, unsure what she was on about. "Are you talking about your relationship with Toni?"

"Yes that and just the whole liking girls part in general I guess."

Penelope hummed in agreement.

Penelope had always accepted and supported her daughter for who she was and who she liked. Her husband on the other hand never quite approved of Cheryl's preference. He often said her behaviour was repulsive and deviant and that one day she would find that out for herself.

"I want to invite Toni for dinner, because she's my girlfriend and this just shouldn't be a big deal". Cheryl said abruptly taking her mother by surprise.

"I...yeah, I mean I guess it's a good idea, if you think you're ready for that. You know your father though, always fighting for his believes even when they don't make sense."

Cheryl sighs, "Trust me I know, I've had to put up with his crap for 18 years".

"You're right sweetheart, go call Toni and ask if she's free tonight." Penelope said with a comforting smile.

"I will"

-
(7 hours later)

*doorbell rings*

Penelope looks at Cheryl and then eyes at the door. "Can you go get that Cheryl?" She says nonchalantly as if she has no clue who it could possibly be.

"Of course", Cheryl says while standing up from the couch she was sitting on, leaving her unfinished homework in front of her. Giving her mother a careful smile as she passed her.

Cheryl closes the door of the hallway behind her before opening the front door. "Hey babe", she says as she looks at her precious girlfriend standing on the doorstep. "Hey babygirl", Toni says in response before pecking Cheryl on the lips.

Toni frowns, sensing some of the anxiety Cheryl seems to have, "are you okay? You look paler than usual."

Cheryl nervously giggles, "well thanks babe", she says sarcastically. "But I'm okay....I think, I'm just a little nervous about my dad, I'm sure he's totally gonna flip."

Toni grabs Cheryl's hand and gives it a little squeeze, "It's fine baby don't worry about it, I can handle it."

Toni stared into Cheryl's eyes for a few seconds, "are you sure you're okay, you seem upset."

"I'm not, just...Toni please don't take anything to heart, he never-

"Babe listen, it's all good, I don't care if your dad likes me or not and his stupid homophobic comments aren't gonna get to me, I promise. I'm here for you remember, because I love you and I care about you."