𝚎𝚙𝚒𝚜𝚘𝚍𝚎 𝚜𝚒𝚡𝚝𝚢-𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎 - 𝚔𝚒𝚌𝚔

Start from the beginning

Rick and Daryl found an old vending machine on the ground and used the truck to flip it over to see if there was any food inside. Since Rick and Daryl were working, Madelyn kept watch as she ate her chocolate. "You like chocolate, don't you?" Madelyn said to her baby bump when she felt another kick.

"It's soda and candy. Why the trouble?" Rick asked Daryl, making Madelyn turn around. He was looking for Denise. Madelyn's eyes widen when she spotted someone run towards Rick.

"Rick, behind you!" Madelyn called out before a man bumped into Rick, making all three of them pull a gun out on him. The man was wearing a beanie, a long leather jacket and gloves. He also had long, light brown hair and a mask covering his face. He had his hands up.

"Hi." The man said.

"Back up! Now!" Daryl said, his gun still pointed at him.

"Keep those hands up." Rick said.

"Whoa, easy, guys." The guy said. He seemed to have a very soothing voice. "I was just running from the dead."

"How many?" Madelyn asked.

"Ten, maybe more." The man said. "I'm not risking it. Once it gets to double digits, I start running and I'm guessing that you're pregnant so if I were you, I'd start running now."

"Where are they?" Daryl asked.

"About a half a mile back." The man said. "They're headed this way. You probably have about eleven minutes."

"Rick, Daryl, we should probably go." Madelyn said.

"Okay. Thanks for letting us know." Rick said as he lowered his gun.

"Yeah, there's more of them than us, right?" The man asked. "Gotta stick together, right?"

Daryl lowered his gun, making the man lower his hands. "You have a camp?" The man asked.

"No." Daryl said.

"Do you?" Rick asked.

"No. Sorry for running into you. I'm gonna go now. If this is the next world, I hope it's good to you guys and the little one." The man said, pointing to Madelyn's stomach before turning to walk away.

"I'm Rick. This is Daryl and Madelyn." Rick said. "What's your name?"

The man stopped and turned around before pulling his mask down. "Paul Rovia. But my friends used to call me Jesus. Your pick."

"I like Jesus. You look like Jesus." Madelyn said with a small smile, making Jesus nod.

"You said you didn't have a camp." Rick said. "You on your own?"

"Yeah." Jesus said. "But, still, best not to try anything."

"Best not to make threats you can't keep, either." Daryl said.

"Exactly." Jesus said before turning to leave.

"How many walkers-"

"No, not this guy." Daryl said to Rick.

"Why not? He seems nice enough." Madelyn said, making Rick nod.

"How many walkers have you killed?" Rick asked Jesus.

"Sorry, gotta run. You should, too. Think you got about seven minutes." Jesus said before leaving.

"Well then." Madelyn said.

"What the hell was that?" Daryl asked.

"He was clean. His beard, it was trimmed." Rick explained.

"You think he's lying about not having a camp?" Madelyn asked, her hands still cradling her bump.

"I think there's more going on there." Rick said.

"He didn't have a gun, either." Daryl said.

"We could track him, watch him for a while, get to know more." Rick said. "See if he's really alone. Maybe bring him back."

"I think a guy that friendly is bound to have a few friends hanging around him." Madelyn said.

"Nah, guy calls himself Jesus." Daryl said.

"What? I like that." Madelyn said before the three heard gunshots, making them turn around and follow the sound. Madelyn decided to stay put. She noticed Jesus sneak back and head towards the truck. "Hey, what are you doing?"

"We need this stuff." Jesus said as he sat in the truck.

"No, you can't take this. Please, our people are hungry. I'm eating for two, please." Madelyn said.

Jesus' face softened as he looked at Madelyn. He felt bad but he didn't have a choice. "I'm sorry but we need this stuff. I'm sorry. I'll give you these." He said, handing Madelyn a couple packets of chips and a bottle of water before starting the truck and driving away just as Rick and Daryl came back.

"Shit." Rick said as the three watched the truck drive away.

"I'm sorry. I tried to stop him but-"

"No, it's okay." Daryl said. "Who was it?"

"It was Jesus." Madelyn said.

"That son of a bitch! I knew it!" Daryl complained.