Chapter 3

Shilpa's POV

Later in the night post-dinner, I saw Armaan sit next to the bonfire putting something into it. I looked over and started walking towards him. As I neared him, I realized that he was putting photographs into the bonfire. Photographs of Riddhima.

"Photographs jalane se yaadein nahi mithti!" I said.

"Pata hai, par photographs jalane se unn lamhon ko phir yaad karneka zariya nahi rehta." he replied turning around to look at me and putting another photo into the flame.

"Yaadein mann mein rehti hain. Unhe kisi zariye ki zaroorat nahi hoti." I retorted.

Armaan shook his head and almost chuckled.

"Kya main baitth sakti hoon tumhare saath?" I asked.

"Sure!"

I sat down next to him and wrapped my shawl tightly over my shoulder.

"Ek baat poochhu?" he asked.

"Haan?"

"Kya hum dost nahi ban sakte?" he asked.

"Ban sakte hain. Par ab fayda kya hai?" I asked.

Armaan's POV

"Fayda? Dosti mein fayda aur nuksaan to nahi dekha jaata." I said to her.

I noticed her big doe-shaped eyes looking at me. So beautiful.

"Haan par main to 2 hafton mein Shimla ja rahi hoon. Long-distance friendship kaise nibhayenge aap Dr. Armaan?" she asked with a gentle smile.

"Agar aapko yaad na ho to main yaad dila doon ke mera bhi transfer ho raha hai." I replied.

"Par ye zaroori to nahi ke aapka transfer bhi Shimla ho jaye!" she said.

"I don't care. Kya tum meri dost banogi Shilpa?" I asked.

She just smiled at me and looked back into the bonfire as I threw the next bundle of photographs into it.

The week went by with both of us busy with the check-ups and the first aid and survival workshop for the kids and not for a moment did I miss Riddhima. But I had a nagging feeling in my head to confess to Shilpa that I had overheard her conversation with her maasi.

We drove back to Mumbai, listening to songs, talking about work and the week we spent at Panchgani. We had stopped for some refreshments on the way.

"Shilpa, there is something I need to tell you. Shayad tumhe bura lage but since I consider you as a friend, I cannot not tell you this." I said sitting on a chair at the local eatery.

"Kya hua Armaan?" she asked sweetly looking into my eyes.

"Wo pehle din, jis din hum Panchgani aaye the, Maine-" I stopped.

"Kya?"

"I by chance overheard your conversation with Aunty." I replied.

"Oh" she uttered and her lashes fell.

I didn't understand what she felt that very moment but I wanted to know. Extremely eager to know. Sadness, embarrassment, indifference? I just couldn't make out.

Shilpa's POV

What should I tell him? He already knows everything about me. I was feeling nothing. I didn't know what to feel.

"Kuch to bolo!" he requested.

"Kya bolun? Sab kuch to jaan gaye ho tum mere baare mein." I replied.

"Tum gussa ho mujhse?" he asked.

"Nahi. Par Armaan, please mujhse waada karo ke iss baare mein kisi aur ko pata nahi chalega." I requested, taking hold of his hand.

"I promise." he said when suddenly his phone rang.

"Sid ka phone hai." he said and answered his call.

Armaan's POV

"Hi, Sid!" I said.

"Armaan, are you guys on your way back?" he asked.

"Yeah, we're in the outskirts of Mumbai. Just stopped for a bite." I replied.

"Tumhare transfer papers accept ho gaye hain." he said.

"Accha. Transfer kahan hua hai?" I asked.

"Shimla!" he said. I could sense the smile on his face which made me smile as well but I did not say anything.

I looked up to see Shilpa drinking tea and looking up at me with a frown, probably wondering what I'm talking to Sid about.

"Kuch bologe nahi?" Sid asked.

"Haan. Um, I'm happy." I replied and I genuinely felt happy that I'd have at least one friend with me.

"Apparently since our Shimla Branch is new, they were still short of one senior doctor there." he informed.

"Okay!"

"Chalo, I'll see you in the hospital this evening. Kal se tumhara aur Shilpa ka transition off hai for a week." he concluded.

"See you. Bye." I said and cut the call.

"Kya kaha Sid ne?" Shilpa asked.

"Kyun bataun tumhe? Tum to mujhe apna dost bhi nahi maanti." I replied.

"Maanti to hoon." she said.

"Kya maanti ho?" I asked.

"Tumhe, apna dost." she replied.

"Really?" I asked.

"Haan kyun?" she counter questioned.

"Kyunki accha hai, Mujhe long-distance friendship nibhaane ki zaroorat nahi padegi." I smiled at her.

"You mean, Tum... Shimla?" she asked with a smile, widening by the second.

"Yup. Apparently, they had a vacant place for one senior doctor." I said.

"Chalein?" she asked.

I nodded and opened the passenger door of the car for her and then got on. I ignited the car and zoomed into Mumbai.

____