Chapter Twenty-Nine

Börja om från början

"Did you not drink any blood?" I asked Claude. "At all? Any of the times you were attacked?"

Claude's hands form fists where they rested on his jean-clad thighs. "No."

"Why?"

"It's disgusting."

The scathing tone of his words sent chills down my spine. I chewed on my bottom lip, wondering if I should drop the conversation. I remembered him turning down my suggestion of going to the cafeteria for blood after being attacked by the intruder and how after the Leecher attack Kaz had told Claude he needed to drink blood to which Claude refused. There had to be some reason as to why Claude didn't want to drink blood. To go against something that was so obviously in his nature.

"I'm sure you remember I witnessed my father being murdered in front of me," Claude spoke, startling me from my thoughts.

"Yes," I responded quietly.

"That isn't the only killing I've witnessed. I have seen more blood spilled than anyone should have to. Vampire blood. Human blood. Coating the blades of the assailants, pouring from motionless bodies, staining the earth." Claude's voice dropped. "The sight of it... It makes me sick."

I didn't say anything, my chest constricting.

"I would rather die than drink blood," Claude continued, glaring down at his balled-up hands.

I whipped my head towards him, eyes widening. "What?"

"But dying is not an option. If I die, this world will never change," he continued, turning his head to meet my gaze, jaw set. "I am the prince. I have a right. A privilege. A responsibility to make sure that this twisted history between vampires and humans doesn't keep repeating."

"Claude..."

"But I'm also just still just barely of age. I am still a son who wants his mother around to care for and guide him. My plans all involve her being there with me. I clung to the hope that she was only being held prisoner, not—" He closed his eyes, swallowing.

I reached for his hand, uncurling his fingers so I could hold it. "Claude, she's not dead. Don't give up hope. I told you. My mom is... She is suffering from the memories of what my father has done. It doesn't excuse her from being with him and standing by idly while it all happened, but when I think of all the lies I know realize my father told me, of all the things he didn't tell me, I know that he has been doing the same thing to her. Manipulating her. Even now, when she can't even sleep because of the nightmares, he still must do it. That's why we can't believe her."

Claude looked back up at me for a moment, gaze more unguarded than I've ever seen it, his face lacking the hard lines of his usual guarded expression. "I apologize for threatening your mother. I wasn't thinking in that moment and I shouldn't have done that. I'm truly sorry, Cleo."

My eyes widened and my grip on his hand tightened as a flush rose on my cheeks. This wasn't what I expected. His own cheeks darkened, too, prompting me to turn my head away, even more flustered. "I understand, Claude. I would have reacted the same way, I think. Even still, thank you for apologizing."

"There was no reason for me to intimidate a defenseless woman."

"I agree with that, but I can't imagine how much it must have hurt to hear that your mom is dead. Even though I don't think it's true," I added quickly. "In that moment, you must have felt so much pain and anger and resentment."

Claude made a noncommittal sound.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that. I hate that my family keeps hurting you," I said, squeezing his hand. "I will find your mother so you can at least have that happiness back, okay? I will do everything in my power to bring her back. I promise."