Chapter 2 "Betrothed and Disapproval"

Unedited.

                             Chapter 2 "Bethrothed and Disapproval" 

His father was insane. That was all Ayden could come up with. Why would his father betroth him to anyone other then a neighboring kingdom, picking a princess that was raised to serve their country. Even the pathetic women at court are better suited at knowing what is expect at being a leader. At least they are royal, but then again it's a good thing his betroth has some money and his father didn't disgrace his country for him to marry a peasant.

He wasn't looking for love that was for sure, but a woman who would become a great leader and lead beside him. Mating her was outside the question. Why mate with someone he did not plan to love and have this useless pull towards her, making him believe he loved her when he really didn't. Yes, he will not have any children of his own because of this, but will adopt someone of royal blood to take his place when he died. It was a very good plan on his part indeed and he will make sure of it that it will go according to plan. His father will be disappointed, but he will not be king then. He just has to accept Ayden's wishes.

His wolf whine at this. He would like nothing more to be mated to a fellow she-wolf. A red fur beauty to be exact, but really Ayden did not know what was going on with him. His wolf never cared what woman Ayden decided to have in his bed and Ayden had many, many women in it. However, he couldn't help it once the women were in heat. His wolf instinct just takes into effect, but now out of the blue his wolf wants the one that is hard to get. This is mostly because Ayden would probably never see that she-wolf ever again.

Even though his wolf has high hopes, Ayden too would like nothing more then to have her, but he knew it was a lost cause. After all, he was not looking for love and there are plenty more fish in the sea. Even when he marries he is planning to have one or two mistresses on the side, so he knows for sure that he will not fall in love with his soon to be wife, but his wolf is making it impossible to forget the red she-wolf.  It's driving Ayden on his last nerves.    

But seeing the red wolf has got him most curious. Legend had it that the Goddess Diana, who created the shifters, bestowed on them a red wolf when they need him or in this case a her the most. It was something Ayden had to look into more before discussing it further with his father. This is because it's has been a brutal five years. After the leader of the rogues decided to retreat at the last minute during the war, his father has been grim ever since. It won't be long until their rival returns. Ayden was even more afraid now that he saw the red wolf because he was scared that his father will do something most unsettling.

"Your quiet my son, what is on your mine?" His father said, taking Ayden out of his thoughts.

Ayden sighed, "Just thinking of my new bride and if she is the one for me?" He turned from looking out of the carriage window to face his father with a most intense stare. 

His father just shook his head. "We have been over this my boy. Just live with my decision. After all, I know what's best for you"

"I'm twenty-three father. A man now. You would think I would know what's best for myself." Ayden said as he became irritated.