Chapter Ten

After we got the kitchen and ourselves cleaned up we decided to watch a movie. I'm sitting on the left side of Cage on the couch while the boys are on his right, with the puppies in their laps.

Muddy and Buddy were outside in the backyard during the little ice cream fight.

A good thing to cause there was chocolate and other things they probably shouldn't eat all over the kitchen. It didn't take us that long to clean up with Cage's help though, and surprisingly Knox and Kohl didn't complain that much while helping. That's a win in my book. I can't ever get them to clean their room without hearing groans of annoyance and feet stomping on the hardwood floor.

Speaking of.

I look over at Knox and Kohl and see that they're falling asleep along with Muddy and Buddy.

Despite it being barely noon now, I'm not very surprised. They were running around in the backyard with the puppies before our little ice cream fight. Trying to teach them how to play fetch. From all the laughing and praising I heard through the windows it went well.

I get up and grab a blanket that's laying over the back of the love seat, covering both boys with it.

Glancing out of the corner of my eye I see Cage studying me.

"What?" I ask when I turn to face him, curious about what he's thinking about.

"Nothing." He says but looks like he wants to say something else.

"Have you eaten yet?" I decide to not question him further.

"No."

"I'll make us some chicken wraps."

I walk into the kitchen not even waiting for him to respond. I grab the leftover chicken breasts from last night out of the fridge. Along with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and ranch. After that, I walk into the pantry and grab the tortillas.

I get to work on washing the tomatoes and lettuce before chopping them up on a cutting board. Then I work on shredding the chicken apart. I feel something bump into the back of my legs and look down, spotting Muddy. She must have woken up and followed me to the kitchen. I grab a small piece of chicken before turning towards her.

"Sit."

I'm shocked when she sits down instantly. I give her the chicken while praising her for listening.

"Good girl Muddy."

"I worked on that with them yesterday a little bit, while they were with me. They listen pretty well. Usually, it takes a little bit longer to train them" Looking up I spot Cage leaning against the double doorway frame.

Gosh, he looks good.

A part of me wishes we did kiss yesterday, but the other part of me is grateful we didn't. It would just complicate things. No matter how much I'm starting to realize I want him. Yet I can't have him.

It's crazy how even after all these years I still feel that instant connection to him.

Like we knew each other for years. When we have only really known each other for a week. Is that too soon to feel like you are falling for someone? If I asked Quinn she would probably think so. Though she did give up on love after her boyfriend of two years cheated on her with her best friend. Messed up of him that's for sure and if I ever see that jackass I'll smack him with a wooden spoon. No way would I attempt to punch him I would probably break my hand. A wooden spoon would hurt a lot more too.

I still hope she finds someone to fall in love with. She deserves to be happy. I'll be honest here I kinda hope she gets together with Noah they would be perfect together, Quinn would never think so though.

I stand back up from my crouched position and get back to work making chicken wraps. Once I'm done I grab plates to put them on, then hand one to Cage.

"Thanks, Rory."

"No problem," I say then take a bite out of my food.

I don't really know why but the silence feels awkward. It never really use to feel this way between us. Hopefully, our almost kiss didn't mess us up already. That definitely wouldn't be a good thing. I remember when we first met that it wasn't awkward between us. At the time I didn't find it strange cause it's Cage you know? He's the life of every party and can get anyone to laugh. Even when we were in our own up on a balcony at whoever's house we were at, at that fourth of July party. He made me laugh so many times that I lost count.

I glance over at him and see he hasn't touched his food, just opening and closing his mouth. He looks like he wants to say something but thinks better of it.

"You okay Cage?" I set my food back down on my plate and walk over to him.

His eyes follow me the whole time and soon we're face to face.

"Go out with me." Cage seems shocked that he said that but not like he regrets it.

Now I'm the one who is opening and closing their mouth. I really don't know what to say. I know I want to go out with him and I know I'm starting to have feelings for him. Just how will this affect Knox and Kohl? That's my main concern. They always will be my main concern.

I know that they want me to be happy and if Cage makes me happy then they will be fine with it.

Just what if it doesn't work out? We'll just have awkward silence between us all the time then and only speak to each other when necessary.

I don't want that.

"I don't know," I finally answer him.

"Just one date."

"What if it doesn't work out though Cage? I have Knox and Kohl to think about. I want is to always get along for the boys' sake."

"They don't even have to know that we're going out on a date. After one date and you don't think we should go on another we won't. We'll go back to being just friends I promise." He grabs my hands in his and runs his thumb over the tops of them, trying to comfort me.

I look down at my hands clasped in his and sigh.

"One date," I tell him giving in.

He lifts my chin up so I'm looking into his eyes again. I see pure happiness in his eyes, much like how they were when Knox and Kohl called him Dad for the very first time.

Despite how much I do want to go out with I'm nervous.

"Tomorrow work for you?" He asks me, with my chin still being held by his thumb and forefinger.

"Tomorrow?"

"Yeah since the boys are out of school then too. You can see if your parents will watch them for a few hours?"

"Okay. I'll call them later today and see if they can if not I can ask Noah or Quinn."

"Who's Noah?" Cage questions me with a hint of jealously in his tone.

"He's a friend of mine. He moved here about five years ago? He helped me paint my bakery along with a few other things."

After I say that I start to hear feet on the hardwood floors, coming towards the kitchen. Soon I spot two boys standing in the doorway. Knox gives us both a questioning look and Kohl looks too tired to register anything. I step back from Cage and he let's go of my hand.

"You boys hungry? Your Dad and I are having chicken wraps you want one?"

Knox doesn't try to question us and nods his head. Kohl mumbles some form of yes. I make them both chicken wraps before going back to eating mine while thinking about my date with Cage tomorrow.

Follow/Vote/Comment