You're Shorter Than I Expected

((Hey! I did not expect to be gone so long! I'm still not actively posting on this book, but figured I'd drop something for you guys))

((Warnings: internet pressure/bullying, focus on height dysphoria, crying, lying ig))

Today was the day that Dream would be meeting his best friend in person for the first time.

And he was absolutely terrified.

He checked his phone again as though he might have misread.

-

Sapnap: I'll be there in a few minutes

Dream: Can't wait to see you

-

He slid it back into his pocket. No, he had not misread.

Of course they'd seen each other before, they'd face-timed plenty of times, but this was different. They'd never seen each other like this.

He took a deep breath as the car pulled into the driveway, walking up to the driver's side window. He put on the most convincing forced smile he could muster as he knocked gently against the glass.

Sapnap's eyes lit up as they met his. Dream took a few steps back to allow the door to open, standing to the side as his friend climbed out and stretched.

"Nice to finally not be in a car?" he asked, shoving his hands deep into his pockets nervously.

"Yeah, dude. It hurts," he whined jokingly.

Then came the exact moment Dream had been dreading.

"...Dream?" Sapnap looked uncertain, as if he thought he might have the wrong person.

He nodded, hoping that could be the end of that, but knowing there would be follow up.

"You're... uh," Sapnap laughed. "You're shorter than I was expecting, man."

"Yep."

"Hell, even George must have a few inches on you," he joked, ruffling Dream's hair.

He wasn't wrong. That was what sucked about it.

"I'm sorry," he said, swallowing down his nerves. He unconsciously had begun to scrub his hands up and down the legs of his pants so roughly it edged on scratching as he tried to calm himself.

"What? You don't need to apologize," Sapnap glanced away and then back to him, furrowing his eyebrows with a confused and concerned smile.

"I shouldn't have lied, I just-" he felt his walls breaking as he desperately held onto what little neutrality he could still grasp. "I didn't-"

"Woah, are you," he paused. "Are you crying?"

"No? I-" he paused, wiping at his eyes to find that he was in fact crying. He sighed, still not wanting to admit to it. "Maybe..."

"It's alright bud, let's head inside, ok?" he set his hand on Dream's shoulder.

Dream looked back to him anxiously, hardly registering it, too caught up in his other thoughts.

"But your things?"

"We'll worry about the stuff later. Worrying about you right now," Sapnap ruffled his hair, leaving no room for argument as he wrapped an arm around his shoulders. He walked him inside and to the living room where Dream almost immediately fell to the couch, legs wobbly.

"I'm sorry, this shouldn't be this big of a deal," he muttered.

"Listen dude, I have no idea what's going on, but I'm here for you one thousand percent," he threw his arm over Dream's shoulders, nearly knocking him forward off the couch. "If someone stole those inches from you I'll get 'em back," he grinned as he leaned over onto him. Over the years he'd come to know Dream better than anyone, always knowing exactly what to say.