Chapter 22: Break

Jayden’s Point of View:

“So baby, don’t worry. You are my only. You won’t be lonely, even if the sky is falling down. You’ll be my only. No need to worry. Baby, are you down, down, down, down, down? Down, down. Baby, are you down, down, down, down, down? Down, down. Even if the sky is falling down?” Niall and I sang the lyrics to “Down” by Jay Sean as we drove to my house after leaving the hospital.

It was three days after Niall’s birthday, and he was still here for me. He really was amazing. My brother still hadn’t shown any sign of recovery, but he wasn’t getting worse. I just wish I could have had one more day with him. One more day to spend with my older brother. One.

The next song that came on was “You Smile” by Justin Bieber. Niall being the mega Belieber that he is had to sing it.

“I’d wait on you forever and a day, hand and foot. Your world is my world. Yeah. Ain’t no way you’re ever gon’ get any less than you should, cause baby. You Smile, I smile. Oh. Cause whenever You Smile, I smile. Hey hey hey.” By now Niall had pulled into the driveway and we sat in my car as he sang to me.

It was beautiful. His voice filled every empty part of me and I was lost in his blue eyes.

Before I knew it, he ended the song and I was inches away from his face. His gorgeous, soft face. He kissed me and I felt sparks. It was something I had never felt before with him. We were interrupted by my phone vibrating. I pulled it out of my pocket and looked at it.

“Jayden!” I heard my dad.

“Yeah?”

“He’s awake!” My dad said. I could hear the smile on his face through his words.

“What?”

“Jace. He’s awake.” He repeated.

I couldn’t believe my ears. My brother was awake and well. He was out of the stupid coma.

“We will be there soon.” I told my father and hung up.

“What is it?” Niall asked me.

“It’s Jace.” I smiled, “He’s awake.”

Niall quickly pulled out of the driveway and hurried to the hospital. I couldn’t believe that my brother was awake. Niall dropped me off at the front of the hospital and I ran up the steps as he went to park. I had to see my brother. I ran into his room red faced and panting like a dog. Not only was I greeted by my brother and Jace, but I was also greeted by five other familiar faces.

“Well Niall got to take a break, so we decided that it was our turn to come and see our favorite Jay.” Louis said as he threw his arm around my neck.

“I’m the only Jay you know.” I told him and hugged them all. First Louis, then Lily, then Harry, Liam, and Zayn.

“Not true. I happen to know many Jay’s.” Louis defended himself.

“Name one.” I told him.

“Jai Brooks.” He said and put his hands on his hips.

“You don’t know him though. You know of him because Liam showed you the videos him and two of his brothers and two friends made. Besides, they aren’t spelled the same.” I told him.

“Doesn’t matter.” He said as if I wasn’t correct, even though I was.

I turned to look at my dad who had a huge grin on his face. Then I looked at my brother. My brother’s eyes were open and he stared at the ceiling.

“Jacey?” I asked and held his hand.

He turned to look at my hand, then back at the ceiling.

“Jace?” I asked.

No response. He only stared at the ceiling. The white, blank ceiling.

“Dad, what’s wrong with him?” I asked, not turning away from Jace.

“The doctor’s think it’s a post-traumatic stress disorder. He was in a horrible A-C-C-I-D-E-N-T, and is having trouble remembering anything besides it. They said it should go away within a matter of days, weeks, months, or years, but all that matters now is that he is awake.” My dad wrapped his arm around me.

My brother was awake, but when I looked at him, I didn’t see my brother. He looked like my brother, but inside it wasn’t him. It was something that replaced my brother.

“How is he?” I heard an Irish accent ask. Niall had just gotten up to the room since parking my car. I didn’t look up. I stared down at my older brother, hoping he would look back up at me and say something. Heck, he didn’t even have to say something, he only had to look up at me. I just wanted to know that the person in my brothers body was Jace.

I sang the only lyrics I could think of at the time, “I hope the days come easy and the moments pass slow. And each road leads you where you want to go. And if you’re faced with a choice, and you have to choose, I hope you choose the one that means the most to you. And if one door opens to another door closed, I hope you keep on walking till you find the window. If it’s cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile.”

All the boys joined me for the chorus. My dad smiled at us as tears ran down his face.

I finished the last verse, “This is my wish. I hope you know somebody loves you. May all your dreams stay big.”

As if on que, my brother looked at me. The smile on his face reminded me of Niall’s in the car from only moments ago.

My brother was finally back.