Chapter 19: Dallas

“Why must it be so hot?!” Lily complained as she laid on an amp that wasn’t being used. Only her stomach was on it. Her legs and arms laid limply off the sides. She looked like she could be dead.

“Uh, well we are in Texas. In late August. And we’re in an outside arena.” I pointed out.

“You can stop that now.” She scowled at me.

I smiled and turned my attention to the five boys who were drenched in sweat. It looked disgusting. They were all drinking water as if their lives depended on it. Although, doesn’t it? Without water, they would die, so I guess they had to drink water like they were. It was about a hundred degrees to add to that. The boys had been practicing their sets all day and now they’re in the middle of a show, taking a quick intermission.

“Jayden, you’re on.” Raegen told me and I walked on stage. The boys patting me on the way out.

After singing at all of these shows, I got used to the crowd. They were all loud, but this one was definitely the loudest.

“How are you guys tonight?!” I asked the hundreds of fans.

Screaming.

“Okay! Let’s go!” I nodded towards Josh who started the song.

“Days like this, I want to drive away. Pack my bags and watch your shadow fade. You chewed me up and spit me out. Like I was poison in your mouth. You took my light, you drained me down. That was then, and this is now. Now look at me!” I started singing ‘Part of Me’ while running around the stage.

Then I saw something being thrown at the stage. It landed just in front of me. It was a potato.

“Ha! They must think I’m really Irish!” I thought to myself and continued singing as I picked up the potato.

“You suck. You don’t deserve Niall. No one likes you.” Are just a few examples of what I read.

“Throw your sticks and stones. Throw your bombs and your blows. But you’re not gonna break my soul. This is the part of me that you’re never gonna ever take away from me, no.” I finished the song and ran off stage with the awful potato in my hand, dropping it as I ran past Paul.

“Jayden, you still have two more songs.” Raegen said to me as I continued running. Past the boys, past Lily, straight to my dressing room.

“Jayden?!” I heard Niall and the other boys following me. I didn’t want to talk to anyone. I wanted to go home.

The boys and Lily got quiet, and I heard Paul, “Boys, I think this is why she’s in there.”

“Wow.” Harry said.

“Boys, I got this.” Lily said and I heard the lock on the door unlock.

I tried to lock it again, but I wasn’t fast enough. Then I was standing only a few feet away from the boys and Lily. I took one look at them and started to get all of my stuff together.

“Uh, guys, can we have a minute?” Niall asked them. The boys nodded and made their way out of the room. The tears started pouring down my face as Niall hugged me.

“Shh, Jay.” He whispered in my ear.

“They hate me, Niall. They hate me.” I kept saying over and over again. They hated me.

“They don’t hate you.” He reassured me, “They’re jealous of you. You have so much talent. And you get to spend every day with us. They don’t hate you. They wish they were you.”

“I should go home.” I whispered.

“No, Jayden. Don’t do this.” He told me, almost about to cry, himself.