13. Romanticization of emotional abuse

Trigger warning: Does mention abuse

Someone: *makes a book a book about physical abuse*

Everybody: Boo! Physical abuse sucks!

Someone: *makes a book about emotional abuse*

Everybody: Oh, that's fine :) emotional abuse ain't the same thing as physical abuse, so as long as the relationship doesn't involve hitting or beatings, it's perfectly fine despite it being emotional abuse.

Me: Leslie.exe has stopped working

But for real talk here, literally when it comes to toxic relationships, people would be literally blowing their socks off if the relationship involved physical abuse, but if the relationship displays emotional abuse, they literally think that it's fine and everything is cool just because there is no hitting involved.

Well, let me tell you all something...

EMOTIONAL ABUSE IS JUST AS BAD AS PHYSICAL ABUSE!

Like, why are people trying to romanticize emotional abuse in stories? Why are they saying that it is fine when it's really not? PHYSICAL ABUSE AIN'T THE ONLY KIND OF ABUSE! Abuse can come in many different forms, and emotional abuse is one of them! I swear to god, every time someone says "oh, well, the relationship doesn't include physical abuse so that would make the relationship okay" I'm this close to going all Wei Wuxian out on them.

You guys, if the relationship is abusive (whether it's physical, emotional, verbally, etc.) IT IS ABUSIVE! If you are in a relationship where you constantly have to tell yourself that the other person won't ever hurt you over and over again, and if there is no trust, respect, faithfulness, or love in the relationship...yeah, you need to just leave that relationship because it ain't healthy and you need to take care of yourself. Emotional abuse is just as important as physical abuse and I'm sick and tired of people saying that emotional abuse is fine just because there's no beating or hitting involved.

What's worse is that a lot of books romanticize emotional abuse. And yet again, it's a lot common in the bad boy x good girl books. Like, sugarcoating and romanticizing emotional abuse is just awful because it's actually really, really, REALLY offensive to those who have been emotional abused or have been in an emotional abusive relationship. It's just something not to be fucked with because it sends a bad message to readers (especially young readers) that emotional abuse is okay and that you should stay in an emotional abusive relationship because there's no physical abuse.

Yeah, okay, maybe someone isn't beating you up or slapping you or constantly hitting you...BUT HAVING YOUR FEELINGS PUT DOWN AND BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP WHERE THERE ARE ATTEMPTS TO CONTROL THE OTHER PERSON'S BEHAVIOR AND THERE BEING UNHEALTHILY AMOUNTS OF JEALOUSY AND POSSESSIVENESS ISN'T MUCH BETTER!

Every type of abuse is important and needs to be learned about and remember: victims of every single abuse out there DO matter. You are not alone. If you or if someone you do know is experiencing any kind of abuse, whether it be physical, emotional, or any kind of abuse, get help. Talk to someone you can trust. Seek help and guidance to help you end that abusive relationship.

Do not romanticize any kind of abuse. Just don't.