Insider's Guide: My Toronto

Because I fly a lot, I actually read those magazines they leave in the seat pocket in front of you. I'm pretty loyal to Air Canada, and their in-flight magazine is actually really good. They have a regular feature where locals give their favorite spots in their home city and every time I read it, I think about which spots I'd choose. Here's my must-visit list of Toronto.

Trinity Bellwoods Park

Pretty much my favorite spot in Toronto. I live nearby and most weekends I'll bike over in the morning with the newspaper, a blanket, some snacks and stay all day. I have a print hanging on my wall at home of the stone gates on the south side of the park to get me through the winters when I can't spend all day outside here. 

Terroni

They have a few locations but the queen west spot is my fave. They have the best pizza and my favorite salad in the city (the nizzarda - an Italian take on Nicoise) In the summer, they have the best patio in Toronto so it's worth the wait to sit outside. This is where my husband and I default to when we can't decide where to go for dinner.

ShopGirls

Toronto ladies, if you are buying your jeans anywhere else, you're doing it wrong. This shop carries unique Canadian designers and the service is fantastic. Anyone who has bought a pair of Yoga jeans from them immediately goes back for a second pair. The service is phenomenal and I always leave feeling great.

Poutinis

If you're looking for traditional "Canadian food" Poutine is what most people will recommend. Don't let anyone talk you into going to Smoke's - hold out for Poutini's. They even have a vegan version with Daiya cheese and mushroom gravy. Go before the bars close, because when they let out, the lines get crazy.

Bellwoods Brewery

Such a beautiful microbrewery with beer so fantastic they supply most of the city's top restaurants. They also have a storefront where you can purchase beer everyday from 11am-11pm - great to know when Ontario's draconian liquor dispensing laws have few places open after 5pm on Sundays. It's where I tell friends to meet me when I want to seem cool. 

Cocktail Bar 

The two biggest mistakes bars make is music volume and lighting. This place is perfectly candlelit with great music that you can hear your friends over. The manhattan is $18, but worth it. All their drinks are amazing. They refuse to serve vodka -- if you're into that -- and have an amusing screed on the wall explaining why vodka is pointless. They don't serve much food and the drinks are strong, so pace yourself.

Art Gallery of Ontario

Not only is the art beautiful, but it's housed in a stunning Frank Gehry building after a recent reno. The advantage to having a yearly pass is that there is a member's only restaurant at the back to relax after walking around the exhibits. It's also right in the middle of chinatown so I usually go after a dim sum meal.

Sam James Coffee Bar (SJCB)

Sam James has turned me into a coffee snob. I've been following him around different cafes for years -- Manic Coffee, Hank's, Cherry Bomb, and Dark Horse -- until he finally opened his own spot, which has since franchised into a few locations. Thankfully, he's opened a spot right near my apartment on Queen West. You will not get a better americano in the city.

Mildred's Temple Kitchen

I love this place so much I had my wedding here! Their brunch is famous. My regular here is the huevos monty with a bungalow caesar (basically a Canadian bloody mary).

And of course, Wattpad HQ

Our office in Toronto is located right downtown, in between Union station and St Lawrence Market. We have a rooftop patio with wifi so we can work up there in the summer. And since we're a startup, we have a foosball table, ping pong, bean bag chairs, and a hammock. All decorated in Wattpad orange.