Chapter 5 - Hillary's Interview

Start from the beginning

She tosses a tentative glance your way, shuffling her things to the side. "Excuse me."

At the sound of her light voice, you're incited to get down on your knees and beg for her forgiveness. 

Tough and firm.

"I need to speak with you, Miss Clinton," you affirm.

"Oh, okay. Are you wanting to have a tutor session? My website has all--"

"No, I'm here to interview you. For Yearbook since you're running for President."

Her eyes light up. "Oh, right, of course. Just hit me with your best shot, I guess." She gives a small laugh, and your resolve wavers for a second, but you quickly recover.

Your hands shake slightly as your get your things ready, and it's probably because your trying to flex as many muscles at the same time in order to assert your dominance. Isn't that like an Alpha Male technique or something?

Regardless, Hillary appears alarmed. "Are you okay?"

You release all your tension and let out a breath, leaning against the table. "I'm... fine." You can see Abraham out of the corner of your eye with his thumbs up. Maybe you weren't failing at this that much.

"Oh, maybe we should start then. And what's your name? I think I might have seen you around before."

"I'm y/n, but that's not important. Riddle me this! What made you decide to run for president? Hm? Hmmm?"

"Oh, well I've interacted with a lot of the students, many of them struggling in their classes, and I think I'd make an excellent voice to represent them. In my opinion, it's those who--"

"Great, next question. Enlighten me! How familiar are you with your peers?"

"I think pretty well. I'm well known as a tutor, and I'm on the debate team, so I say that they know me very well. And of course I know them as well. When I tutor them, I also try--"

"Adequate. Now solve this mystery! What are important issues you'd like to address?"

"I'd like to address the education inequality. Many of those I work with come from difficult backgrounds and..."  She pauses, her expression slightly flustered.

"What?" you question.

"I just... I was worried you were going to cut me off."

You resist the urge to collapse to the ground in sobs. Instead, you sigh. "You know what? I'm sorry. I'm being ridiculous. I was just trying a new approach, and I attempted it on you, and I'm very much regretting it."

She gives a small smile. "It's a learning opportunity."

"Most definitely." Out of the corner of your eye, you see Abraham Lincoln frowning and shaking his head. "But, instead, I'll let you write your answers, okay? I think that'll be easier."

She nods and takes your pencil and paper, writing her answers to the questions. You notice she has a nice, light handwriting, and it's like each stroke stabs into your chest, reminding you how stupid you were to ever think Abraham Lincoln would ever offer proactive advice.

She finishes and hands it back to you. "Well, thanks. I hope this helps."

"It does, a lot." You look over her books. "You're a tutor, you say?"

"Yes, I am. I'm booked around after school and before school, so I have to get most of my work done during off periods."

"How much do you make?"

A blush creeps across her face. "I don't earn anything. I do it all for free."

You gape. "Seriously? How come?"

"Most of the students that come to me don't really have the money to spare on that, so I just try to help them anyway I can."

"That's amazing."

Her blush deepens, and she avoids your gaze. "Er, thanks. I try, I guess."

"I'd feel guilty about asking you for help though. It's hard to stop myself from procrastinating."

"No, I'd totally make time for you!" She clears her throat, her eyes widening. "But not in a weird way, just to help you of course, because that's what your asking of me, nothing else, just like everyone else does. Normal, everything's normal."

"Yeah, it sure is. But I mean, if you're ever free, I wouldn't mind a session."

"Neither would I. Just... uh, just book an appointment on my website hclinton.tutors.com. Or you know, you could just ask me directly." She sighs, putting her face in her hands. "Sorry, I'm being weird, aren't I?"

"No, not at all. You're fine, perfectly fine."

"Oh. That's good." The bell rings, and she starts gathering her things. "I guess, I'll see you later? If you choose to let me tutor you of course."

"I'll make time."

"I mean, wouldn't it be the other way around, because-- I'm going to stop talking now."

You give a small laugh. "I'll see you."

She gives you a smile as you head out of the library.