6

November 18, 2014

"Would you like to see him?" The doctor spoke slowly, hesitantly.

All in sync, it took two seconds for the whole group to reply urgently. When they all called out a demanding yet hopefully startling "yeah", the doctor appeared stressed at the lack of organization in the group.

"Okay, but two at a time." he looked over the desperate, tiered looking punk teens. "Well, who's first?"

They all looked at each other and stood quiet. They all wanted to see him, and they were never great at making group decisions. They all slowly turned their heads at Harmony, giving her a suggestive look. Harmony simply nodded, understanding that she more than anyone needed to see him, and it was best she went alone.

She didn't know what to think when she walked into the room.

What if he is still mad?
What if he pinned this on her?
What if he kicked her out before she could ask him to forgive her?
What if he wasn't mad?
What if he apologized?
What if he hugged her and kissed her once more?

The what if's were unbearable.

She slowly walked up to the baby blue door, the third one in the intensive care sector. After a mute knock, Harmony grew 'the pair' and walked in shoving past the door, both desperately and slowly.

He laid with his head rested on its side, facing the opposite wall.

"Hey Luke."

He slowly turned his face towards the door, a small smile on his face.

His face was enough to send Harmony into a state of relief and ecstatic happiness. Her baby was smiling again, that beautiful damn smile that made her collapse. His eyes were just as she had seen in the last twelve or so hours, only this time it wasn't only in her sole memory but in real life. They shone through his painful seeming state and before she knew it she was at the edge of his bed, kneeling down looking up at him through the brim of moist eyelids.

"You are an awfully nice, um lady."

She kissed the top of his hand, and held his hand at her lips. When she noticed that he had spoken, she knit her eyebrows wondering what he was pulling now. As happy as she was to hear his voice, she noted that, that was an odd way to start the conversation.

Now was not the time to play, it wasn't like him to take a vulnerable situation and make it a joke.

"Yeah...I'm so happy to see you Luke."

He giggled and squeezed her hand.

"Well, it's very nice to meet you miss, surely this is the boys way of giving me a 'get better' gift." He smiled and slightly blushed.

Now she was concerned, what was he on, a drug, painkillers? No, painkillers don't do that, it must be something stronger.

"Luke, what in the sane universe are you talking about?."

Now he seemed completely confused.

"What do you mean?" He tilted his head to the side, he looked so young and innocent. But this only further worried Harmony, who had now surely determinedly something was off.

"Luke, babe are you feeling well?" She placed her free hand on his cheek, rubbing it softly.

"Wait, who are you?" He released her hand and pushed her hand away gently.

"Luke are you serious right now-" Harmony looked hurt, but Luke was way to out of it to realized that she was. They stood in silence for about 30 seconds before Luke spoke up.

"Hey, I'm sorry if you expected me to remember you but I meet, hundreds-" he paused and looked at her " and I mean hundreds of fans. Im sorry that I don't quite remember you."

"Wait, did you just call me a fan?"

He looked at her worriedly, as if he might have said the wrong thing. Then he shrugged slightly, " isn't that what you are?" .

She swallowed the dry lump in her throat, now realizing that her biggest fear might have become a reality. No he didn't die, God forbid, but as of right now he seemed to have forgotten their relationship. She figured it was temporary but the look on his face was petrifying, her ghost seemed to be haunting her right now.

"um, Luke please excuse me." she said before turning to walk out of the door.

"No wait!" He practically yelled, causing Harmony to slowly turn back. She was fighting hard the liquids strained behind her eyes.

"I want to know who you are, but I don't. The look on your face, it's affecting me greatly. Please just tell me who you are, why do I matter so much to you?" His eyes widened.

That's when Harmony bit her lip in an attempt to contain the many facial expressions she gave off before she cried. See, it was certainly Luke because, the Luke she loved knew her sad faces, he knew all her faces. But at the same time, how could that be Luke when he doesn't even know her name.

"Luke, you really don't remember me?"
She stuttered and almost lost her calm, but she just shut her eyes before he could response, there was no point.

He also shut his eyes tightly, in his delayed brain, he tried to focus on how he ended up there. An accident, he thought. But the more he thought, the less he recalled what had happened.

Harmony looked at him one last time before turning to face the door once more. Before she walked out she stood there facing the door, listening to his heart monitor.

His heartbreak was slow, she recalls a time when she laid on his chest counting his beats. The memory stings her whole body and finally a tear peaked out the edge of her eye.

"I was your best friend."

Knowing she couldn't hear another response she wouldn't be able to bare, she walked out the door.

Before she could find a doctor to further learn about his condition, or tell the boys what had happened, she ran off to a nearby family waiting room and silently cried for the first time all day.