🪞 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒆𝒏𝒅 🪞

"Colombia"

Thirty one years ago:

Colombia

Chris was going back home with his parents today and couldn't be more bummed. Everyday he was here, Thalia would wait by bridge for him. And everyday before they left she made him promise to return the next day.

But today Chris couldn't say goodbye.

He watched Thalia ride up in her bike and walk to the bridge. On the ground was his copy of the velveteen rabbit. She picked it up and smiled, thinking he was going to come out at any time. So she waited.

And waited, and waited.

But he never showed. Shortly after she arrived Chris left the bridge to go back to his parents. Thalia stayed there all day but he never came.

She went back everyday for a year, and her friend never showed up.

Soon after that she got caught up in theater and helping her mother around the house,

So the memories of Christopher left her mind as she grew.

***
(Now)

The duo consisting of Chris and Thalia walked hand in hand out of the airport. She felt a little down with Florence out of the house, so as a surprise anniversary gift he got the two tickets to her hometown in Colombia.

"My mother is going to love you." She told him.

"I hope so, I've never met a girlfriends parents before." He wiped his hand on his pants nervously.

"Neither had i until I met your parents- and they loved me." She squeezed his hand in reassurance.

"Yeah being hot and nice has its perks." He joked as they drove the car all the way to her house.

Finally getting there, Ramona Bravo opened the door. "Thalia, mija!" She exclaimed.

The pair hugged tightly before pulling back. "This is my boyfriend, Chris."

"It's a pleasure to meet you." He flashed his smile and offered his hand.

"Igualmente." She shook his hand. "Muy amable de tu parte estar aquí." 'Likewise. Very nice of you to be here."

"Oh- shoot I'm sorry, I don't speak-"

Thalia laughed. "She speaks English- she's just messing with you."

"Oh- I knew that." Chris said adorably.

They went in to eat dinner and Ramona got to know Chris a little better. She missed her daughter and granddaughter immensely and was happy for these two to be here.

After a while, Thalia offered to show Chris around her village. He caught her hand as she led him down to the bridge. That sense of deja vu that she'd get from time to time, happened again. She shook it off but it heavily came back when she saw a blanket and basket on the bridge.

"What's all this?" She smiled.

"Thought we could have a picnic." He smiled sideways and she gasped.

She covered her mouth. "Your- you-" all the memories came flooding back of them here at this bridge every day for a week came into her mind. The carving of their initials were still engraved in the wood. She turned around and looked at the sunset, remembering him running after her in their games.

Then she turned back and her shock grew. Chris was on his knee.

"After all that chasing I finally caught my Wonder Woman. Just like I promised." He opened the box with a smile to reveal the ring engraved with their initials.

She laughed and breathed deeply as he spoke, "I'm sorry I disappeared like that, will let me make it up to you and marry me?"

Thalia jumped up and down. "Yes yes! Oh my god." She attacked him in a kiss to where he fell on his back.

He placed the ring on her finger as they smiled, "I piranha promise to stay this time."

🪞

The end ❤️

Thank you for reading

🎉 You've finished reading 🪞 𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄 🪞| a short ᴄʜʀɪꜱ ᴡᴏᴏᴅ story 🎉