🪞 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒇𝒊𝒗𝒆 🪞

"An explanation"

Ten years ago

Florence held onto Thalia's hand as they crossed the crowded streets. The story was that she was Thalia's god daughter and Ramona's adopted daughter. No one even knew her name. If people knew she was Thalia's everyone would ask questions- badgering and ruining their lives or Ellie might come back.

Whatever the case- Thalia risked nothing. No one was taking her daughter away. Florence held onto her backpack as they stopped in front of the school. Thalia kneeled down to meet her eye line. "Are you ready, Florence?"

She shook her head, scared. Thalia held her face in her hands. "You're going to do great, I'll be right back here to pick you up in just a couple hours. Okay?" She smiled.

Florence nodded and deep breathed. "Promise, mommy?" She put up her hand in a pac man figure.

"Piranha promise." Thalia laughed and interlocked their hands before kissing her on the head and watching her walk inside. "Have fun." She called.

Don't cry. Thalia tilted her head back. Florence turned around and waved one last time before walking in and disappearing. Thalia waved back and smiled, deep breathing and turning around.

***

(Now)

Thalia walked onto the scene hesitantly. She hadn't seen Chris since yesterday when he awkwardly walked out of her house. He caught eyes with her and smiled nervously, waving before putting it down, feeling like an idiot.

She waved back and waited for Julie to say action. After a couple reshoots, Thalia walked back to her trailer and sat down on her comfy chair. She leaned her head back and closed her eyes.

A knock on the door pushed her out of her head. "Come in."

"Hey." Chris walked in.

"Hey yourself." She sat up.

"So- I wanted to apologize for yesterday. I don't even know why I freaked out-"

"It's totally fine. I shouldn't have lied to you," her accent grew thick as she was nervous. "it's just that there's a whole story and I didn't want to complicate anything-"

He kissed her abruptly to calm her down. "You didn't complicate anything. I like you."

She looked up and stammered. "Really?"

"Yup." He laughed.

"Oh." She smiled widely.

"Can I ask what the whole story is?" He sat down across from her.

"It's a lot. And a secret," she was unsure.

"I can keep a secret." He put a hand to his chest dramatically.

She chuckled and thought it over. "Okay." She inhaled. "It was fifteen years ago..."

🪞