Epilogue

The warm mug of delicious cocoa felt good in Drake's paws, as he sipped the beverage, savouring the sweet, chocolatey flavour. So much had changed in the two years since the start of, in Drake's mind, "the adventure that opened his eyes". His parents were stunned as he recounted his amazing adventure, but in the same breath, also happy that he had relied on his faith, and let God guide him. Of course Peter, now Drake, knew he could never again live in the human world...but knew that his parents and older brother would always be there for him. Forever. The week he'd spent with them was by far the best homecoming he'd ever received. And, dragon or not, Drake would do his very best to live the life he'd been given.

Later, Drake was sitting on the front porch with his older brother beside him. After a moment of enjoying the sunset, Adrian placed a kind hand on the dragon's shoulder, as Drake glanced at his brother.

"There's no way I can convince you to stay just one more day, little bro?" The boy looked sad. But that was okay, for Drake shared the same expression, as he let his brother pull him close; one of Drake's wings unfurling to gently wrap around his human brother's shoulders.

"Believe me, Adrian, I wish I could," was Drake's gentle reply, before he lifted himself to look into his brother's eyes. "but I know that, aside from you, my family, no one else will ever be able to understand us, and I'm afraid of what other people will do if I'm discovered."

Adrian nodded, understanding. "So that's why Lord Ragnar allows you to live on the Isle of Avalon; no evil force is capable of reaching it."

Drake nodded, before leaning close to affectionately nuzzle his older brother; Adrian wasn't the least bit alarmed by the gesture, for he knew it was an instinctive reaction of dragons that wished to express affection to others who were close to them.

The human boy smiled as he hugged the dragon, whom he still loved dearly, and would always be there for him.

"You'll always be welcome here, little brother!" Adrian whispered. Drake purred in reply.

"I know, big brother! And I'll always be here for you too!" Releasing each other, the brothers got up, unsurprised to see their parents standing in the doorway, with tearful smiles.

Some things never change.

The distant sound of pulsing wings alerted them, as Drake smiled. His dad listened. "Is it time, my son?" he asked. Drake nodded. Following him out to the yard, his parents and brother all smiled as Asger and Drago landed easily before them.
"Mr. and Mrs. Willkins?" Asger asked, as they nodded.

Drake smiled, exchanging a fond hug with his parents. "It has indeed been a great visit, mom and dad, but home is calling to me."

"And it is where you belong now, son!" his mother replied, wiping away a tear from one eye. "Just be sure to visit us sometimes."

"You know I always will, mom!" Drake hugged and kissed her fondly, and embraced his father.

He and Adrian embraced one last time. "When will I see you again, Drake?" the boy blinked back tears. But his younger brother smiled, softly wiping them away.

"In time, big brother! In time!" Adrian nodded, and smiled.

He then allowed Drago and Asger to bid his parents farewell. Then all three of them took flight into the sunset.

...

The warm evening breezes drifted across the verdant meadows and hills of Avalon, bringing back to Drake the memories of his human childhood, enjoying summers at home. Yet he knew that even though he belonged in Avalon now, his human home would always be there, on the other side of the mountains. As would his family.
But for now, Drake would enjoy yet another day of freedom in his own world. And he could welcome that with open arms...and an open heart.