Chapter VIII: Into the Dark

His friend's normally-golden eyes were now an angry orange-red, like burning embers!! With a terrifying roar, Egarun dove toward Peter; his maw opening wide in a deadly array of fangs; the boy could just see the glow of the dragon's internal furnace kicking into action...FWOOOOSH, BOOOOOOOM!!
He screamed while instinctively diving aside, luckily avoiding a terrifying fate!! Rising, Peter turned and ran for his life!! "God, help me!" he pleaded silently. "Only You can bring my friend back into the Light, and help us break this evil!!" Taking shelter from several firebombs in a small crevasse at least a half-mile from the caldera, the boy waited. And watched. A sudden realization hit him: Earlier, Egarun had told him about the talismans sometimes used by the enemy in order to focus their powers. Smooth black chunks of pure obsidian, engraved in gold with certain elemental symbols. As Peter recalled, a triangle represented fire, a perfect crossed circle stood for earth, and three vertical downward spikes represented ice. There undoubtedly were other talismans, but the boy knew he had found the three that, if he could steal them from the enemy, then maybe, just maybe, he alone could turn the tide. Utilizing his parkour skills and stealth, Peter gradually emerged from his hiding spot, toward the smoking caldera. It was a dangerous move, but given the current situation, he knew he had no choice.