04

CHAPTER FOUR
ON THE ROCKS

SATURDAY 1st OCTOBER, 2005

Ruby had been researching inventive ways to get away with murder.

It began with an insatiable urge to smash Nate Dalton's head in, after it emerged that he had harmed Lexie during an argument – which is why she'd completely vanished the day Ruby's car broke down.

She became aware that it was not the first time either, and absolutely wanted him to pay for both the physical and emotional manipulation he had put her best friend through. But how? Well, that was to be determined.

Lexie had been walking around like a corpse since Ruby had encouraged her to report her (thankfully, now ex) boyfriend to the police. Sometimes, Ruby would talk to her and realise there was absolutely nothing behind her usually bright and mischievous eyes. Of course, she would never tell her that, and chose instead to utilise her best distraction topics to try and reel the old Lexie back. She tried everything – fashion, hair, makeup, Buffy, the environment – nothing was working.

But, cut to the following Saturday, Lexie was an entirely different person. She'd strutted into Ruby's house that evening with so much of her usual Lexie Diaz confidence oozing, that Ruby almost got whiplash from the sudden turn of events. (Also, she'd walked in whilst Ruby was on her laptop reading about dissolving dead bodies in acid. If Lexie had seen, it would prompt a very long conversation that Ruby didn't have the capacity to go in to. Plus, it wasn't as if she was actually considering murder. It was just fascinating to read about.)

It was the night of the La Push party, and both of them were ready to let off some steam – one certainly more than the other.

Ruby was mildly concerned about her best friend. Scratch that, she was very concerned.

The problem with Lexie Diaz was that her coping mechanisms weren't always the most...helpful. Actually, nine times out of ten, they caused more harm than good, and getting Lexie to recognise that was a whole damn chore. So, considering everything she had gone through in the past week, Ruby was fully expecting her to pull some ridiculous stunt, intentionally or not. But what was it going to be this time? Ruby was going to have to figure that out in time to prevent it. As long as it didn't put Lexie, or anyone else, in any danger, it hopefully wasn't going to be too much of an issue. Then again, danger seemed to be attracted to Lexie like a magnet, so Ruby was definitely going to have to be on high alert.

"I'm gonna get shit faced drunk tonight," Lexie announced to Ruby the second they set foot on the beach.

Ruby cast a worried look over at her, catching sight of her thoughtful expression. Too thoughtful. Lexie's eyes twinkled, and a grin played on her glossed lips.