03

CHAPTER THREE
MEMORIES

TUESDAY 20th SEPTEMBER, 2005

Ruby was having a bad day. And it was only ten thirty.

There was something so unbelievably dismal to waking up to the ear-splitting sound of her step-mother's irritating voice. Much to her greatest displeasure, the wicked witch of the west and Ruby's father had arrived home from their month long holiday in Aruba – though, in Ruby's opinion, a month was nowhere near long enough for them to be away.

It was the dogs barking continuously that had woken her up, followed by the sound of Stella Dupres' usual melodramatics. Ruby was certain that the woman cared about those stupid dogs more than anything else in the world. They weren't even good dogs, either!

As an avid dog lover, Ruby really didn't enjoy saying that, but she couldn't help the resentment she felt. Chihuahuas were, by far, the worst breed. They were evil, ratty looking things, with high pitched barks, far too much energy, and unnecessary aggression for something she could easily boot half way down the road with one decent kick. They do say that dog's are very similar to their owners, though, so Ruby guessed that made sense.

Stella Dupres, née Hearst, or, as Ruby liked to call her, Cruella de Vil, had met Andre Dupres around three years ago. Soon enough, Ruby was standing on a beach in Hawaii, in a honey gold bridesmaid's dress, plastering on the biggest smile she could muster. (Side note - the dress was gorgeous. It was simple, but still stunning; a medium-low cut neckline, tight at the waist, flowing out gently at the skirt.) Despite the rest of Stella's flaws, Ruby did have to admit the woman had fashion taste. Expensive taste, actually. That entire wedding cost a fortune.

Anyway, Stella was, to put it simply, the worst. To list a few things off the top of Ruby's head, she was impossibly high maintenance, had an annoyingly whiny and nasally voice, and terrible, terrible taste in home decor. Most of all, she really did not like Ruby, which was fine, because she didn't like Stella very much either.

She'd tried really hard to give the woman a chance, despite her initial impressions that Stella only liked her dad for his money. As it goes, she clearly is quite in love with him, but Ruby still had good reason to believe the woman was materialistic – though she tended to keep those thoughts to herself. Especially since Lexie had called her a bad feminist.
"You see a blonde, skinny former cheerleader with lip fillers, a boob job and a Brazilian bum lift, and you immediately label her a gold digger!" Not true, by the way.

Firstly, to set the record straight, Ruby would never critique the cosmetic choices other women make. In fact, she very much supported her step-sister, Peach, when she had her nose job a couple years ago. Secondly, Lexie did later actually meet Stella, and instantly understood exactly what Ruby was talking about, so she had to take the bad feminist label back.