Chapter 8: The Bloodline

Start from the beginning

"Surely she can't be an heir! You don't really think so do you?"

Riddle paused for a moment, averting his gaze towards the long window where he looked out upon Hogwarts' grounds. "I do," said Riddle through a tight jaw.

Malfoy's lip curled upwards. "Then this would explain her arrogance and fearlessness around us, wouldn't it? She knows of the power she possesses and so isn't afraid of us."

"She is, as far as I know, oblivious of her heritage thus far. And it must remain that way. She cannot know who her ancestors were until the time is right." Then his voice became darker. "But to be an heir of Ravenclaw, there is only one explanation."

Something behind Riddle's features stirred, something fierce and threatening, and something that made Malfoy not even dare to blink.

"I'm sure you know the tragic tale of Rowena and her daughter Helena, don't you, Malfoy?" He nodded. "And it is said, according to all the history books, that she died a tragic death away from home – killed by none other than our very own Bloody Baron."

"Of course, everyone knows that."

"But what if I told you there was more to the story?" Riddle said quickly, his eyes darting. "What if I told you that the history books were wrong?"

Malfoy looked confused. "My Lord?"

"What if I told you that Helena Ravenclaw, before her murder, had a child."

"A child? But-" Malfoy paused mid-sentence and Tom clenched his jaw as he watched Malfoy put the pieces together. "No. Surely not..."

"Your thoughts, Malfoy?"

"You don't mean to suggest that the Baron... That – that Helena Ravenclaw gave birth to his child?"

Tom Riddle leaned back in his chair and once again gazed out of the window at the sky that was growing ever darker with each passing minute.

"And what would it mean if she bore his child, Malfoy?"

He hesitated. "Well, it would mean..." Tom urged him to continue. "It would mean that the child of Helena and the Baron would be a blood relative of Rowena Ravenclaw... and..."

"Yes?"

"And Salazar Slytherin..."

"Correct," said Riddle, who laced his fingers together as he leaned backwards in his chair.

"And if that child was the only heir to Ravenclaw... And you believe that Markorp shares her blood... Then that would mean..."

Riddle finished Malfoy's sentence for him. "That Estela Markorp is also an heir of Slytherin."

Malfoy paused for a moment, his already pale face draining of any colour it once held. "So this means... this means you're not the only heir?"

Riddle's eyes darkened, and a scorching anger began to simmer inside him. "This means I'm not the only heir." He confirmed.

"Then what shall we do about her? She's a threat – should we rid ourselves of her?"

Riddle flinched. "You wish to kill a witch as powerful as Markorp? A witch whose blood flows with the talents of the great Salazar Slytherin and Rowena Ravenclaw?"

"No, my Lord, I was merely suggesting-"

"She isn't a threat to us as long as she remains ignorant. And as long as she remains ignorant, she will be very useful in our plans. Very useful indeed.

***

Darkness was falling upon the Hogwarts grounds, and a full moon was hanging in the sky above. Estela sat on the windowsill of the Common Room, and as she stared out into the darkness of the night before her, her attention was captured by something soaring towards her from outside. As she squinted to look closer, she saw it was a black owl with orange orbs for eyes. She looked around the Common Room to see everyone divulged in their own activities, and didn't seem to notice the owl pecking on the window.